man in black and white striped long sleeve shirt

When will boxing return to the fighting business, and will there be consequences?

This question is very hard to answer since gyms were closed down for a long period of time and boxers could not keep up with their daily routines or fight, amateurs and professionals.

Now, the only ones who are starting to take action are professional fighters who are on their way to win important titles and want to keep their legacy alive.

An article from Forbes mentioned that the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, is planning on opening its doors to the competitive world of boxing once again. Although serious precautions are going to be taken, they will test all fighters and make them stay in assigned rooms until they receive the results. 

It will be hard to accomplish. The article even mentioned a case where one of the fighters got tested positive. “Boxer Mikaela Mayer, who was a 2016 U.S. Olympian and scheduled to fight Tuesday, announced Sunday on social media that she tested positive for coronavirus and was off the card. She was asymptomatic”, said Badenhausen (the article writer). It will be hard to detect the virus as not all people show direct signs of having the symptoms such as Mayer. 

man standing and walking going on boxing ring surrounded with people

There will be limited audience in order to prevent contamination or spread which will make the fight seem more than a sparring session in the eyes of the fighters. 

Badenhausen mentions that the only ones who will have paper-view fights will be prestigious boxers. “But he doesn’t see any big pay-per-view events, featuring stars like Canelo Alvarez or Anthony Joshua, until at least the end of 2020. ” 

This link will take you to the article and my comments and thoughts about the subject: https://nowcomment.com/documents/235950

Hey Oriandy,
I loved reading your article! In your post, you said, “Forbes mentioned that the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, is planning on opening its doors to the competitive world of boxing once again.” Do you think the idea of opening the doors is a good idea, especially if precautions to keeping the boxers and the people watching safe? How have you stayed active with gyms being closed?

Trying to imagine big sporting events coming back into light is a very hard thing to do right now and something like boxing were there can’t be social distancing between athletes is even harder to imagine. I love how you found articles that go over the possibilities of this and the precautions if they ever were to come on again. I don’t know too much about boxing but I know its a well loved sport by many and hopefully soon it can go back to normal.

Henry Poppe
Henry Poppe

Hi Oriandy,
First off I want to say I love this topic- it is unique, interesting, and raises some important questions. So you mention how boxing might be opening back up in Las Vegas and the boxers will be tested, will they also be kept in a bubble-like protective group as the NBA did? How many people usually participate in a boxing tournament, and is it popular enough to stream it for fans, so the athletes can feel important? You mention amateur boxers in your writing, and I am wondering what are you personally doing to stay fit and healthy during this Quarantine?

I think you bring up some very good points. Boxing is a very close quarters sport and would be very difficult to stop the spread of the virus if someone had it. The biggest problem with being a professional athlete right now is trying to stay healthy, and with boxing being gone for such a long time there is probably some pressure for its return. Do you have an estimate when you think it would return?

5
0
()