In the article, “The Sneaky Truth About Memes” (The New York Times, Upfront) I learned that the memes we share on social platforms shape and influence our behaviors and even our opinions. Memes are a tool used in social media platforms to synthesize information and deliver it in an entertaining way. However, according to media experts, users must be careful about the memes they view on a daily basis because the simplification of memes brings consequences to the individual. For one, the information can be wrongly distorted or altered or it could be encouraging negative behaviors. So while you might be thinking that you are becoming “aware” of what’s going on in the world, you really may be most likely viewing a very biased perspective depending on the delivery of the meme.

I think that we as individuals should be aware of the impact memes have on us even though we simply scroll through them as easily as one swipe. The types of memes that a person shares and likes say a lot about how a person thinks and what they believe in. More people should inform themselves through trustworthy sources rather than establishing their opinions based off of a simple meme they saw on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

Do the memes that you like and share reflect your identity and opinions?

0
()