atomic bomb photoThe Manhattan Project was a research and development undertaking during World War II that produced the first nuclear weapons. It was led by the United States with the support of the United Kingdom and Canada. The purpose of the Manhattan Project was to develop an Atomic Bomb. The “Little Boy” atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima and the “Fat Man” atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. It was called the Manhattan Project because the program began under the Manhattan Engineering District of the War Department and its scientists worked in Columbia University in Manhattan, NY. The Manhattan Project started on May 12, 1942 when President Roosevelt signed an order creating a top secret project to develop the nuclear weapon. US physicist Robert Oppenheimer and General Leslie R. Groves served as directors of the Manhattan Project. 

http://www.american-historama.org/1929-1945-depression-ww2-era/manhattan-project.htm

http://www.ushistory.org/us/51f.asp

Photo by San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

Angel G
May 6, 2022 4:19 pm

Dear: Danny

I enjoy Reading your post ¨The manhattan project¨ because this manhattan project was the most research project at the time and it was the first nuclear weapon. It was led by the United States with the support of the United Kingdom and Canada. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “The Manhattan Project was a research and development undertaking during World War II that produced the first nuclear weapons.” I think this is important because the project was made to end world war 2 and to show strength against the soviet. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because  I like how you show when Manhattan was made and how it got the name from. 

Angel 

Samantha
February 3, 2017 3:30 am

I think this is a great topic. It is a great topic to research and will catch the readers attention when you finish with the final product. I wan to know what further research you are doing about this topic and why you chose the topic.

2
0
()