Athletes require more self-discipline because athletes generally get started on their homework later and have to miss classes for races/games (both of which require communication and time management). Getting started on their homework later in turn means that they are more diligent in completing their work on time. Having less time to do homework also trains active students to get later assignments in class done early. This is underscored by the fact that student-athletes generally perform 2 percent higher than normal students on math and science subject tests. Student-athletes are also better prepared for college because they have developed good time management skills in high school.

September 21, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi Paul,
I agree with your argument because as a student athlete, myself I find it important to be very organized and always stay on top of workloads and being prepared to miss class. I am not surprised that student athletes perform better than non-student athletes academically. Getting physical exercise during the week improves your mind and your overall health, giving you an advantage over your peers. I am glad that you wrote about this topic, given that you are a student athlete and understand the responsibilities that come with being one.

September 20, 2021 3:56 am

Dear paul,

I am intrigued by  your post, “the link between time management and athleticism,” because I myself am a student athlete. I think it’s impressive that athletes can manage so much on their plate. It can be time consuming but they manage to keep up their grades and perform well in their sport.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This is underscored by the fact that student-athletes generally perform 2 percent higher than normal students on math and science subject tests. ” I think this is interesting because through athletes tend to have to leave class or maybe even a few classes they manage to exceed the average. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you addressed an interesting topic. I would like to see what other topics you will discuss.

Leah

September 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Being a student athlete, I find that the points made within this comment are accurate. Having to manage my time properly and making sure to get assignments done quickly has become a great habit of mine. It’s interesting to see that these student athletes are performing better on tests but this would make sense as they are more efficient with the time given to them. Will these student athletes perform even better in college without the distraction of sports?

September 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Time management is a very important skill that sports help a lot with. Balancing school with extra-curriculars is always an interesting topic, and the studies on student-athlete performance. The fact that student-athletes in general perform 2% better than anyone not involved is not surprising, as those students are constantly forced to manage time well, and sports are definitely known to improve mental health leading to those higher grades.

September 17, 2021 5:44 pm

I honestly did not think that student athletes would perform 2% higher on tests which is quite interesting. I think another good correlation topic would be how student athletes are able to get things done ahead of time to in order to avoid procrastinating. That would be another good idea to add into this topic!

5
0
()