man and woman sitting on chairs

In the article “Hispanic Heritage Month: Sylvia Mendez” (McGraw Hill) it explains how the Westminster v. Mendez case desegregated schools all over the state of California. Mexican Americans and white Americans were sent to different schools. While white Americans were taught basic life skills such as reading and writing, Mexican Americans were taught domestic housekeeping skills and labor jobs. Sylvia Mendez’s parents fought for the integration of Mexican American children in schools. Sylvia later on made it her mission in life to tell her parents story. She has travelled around the country to tell her parents story including receiivng recognition from the President Barack Obama.

I think what Sylvia has done to reach a farther audience is very admirable. I also think it’s such a great way for her to honor not only her paretns but their dedication and harwork. I’m sure both her parents would be very proud of what she has done to tell their story to others. I had already knew about the Westminster v. Mendez case because we learned about it in our chicano history class but beforehand I had no idea that the segregation of Mexican Americans was a thing back then and I figured if I didn’t know until I was taught it then maybe someone out there doesn’t know about it either which is why I thought it was important to share this.

What would you have done if you were the parent of a Mexican American child who was being segregated from normal schools?

0
()