In the text, “The Dilemma: Cut It Out” (Upfront) I learned that friends have become more overbearing with the pandemic. The anonymous author claimed that she started cutting her friends’ hair when the pandemic hit. Ever since one of her friends has said that she will no longer go to the hair salon ever again because her friend (the anonymous author) can do her hair instead. The author cannot find a way to tell her friend nicely that she will no longer be doing her hair because they’re all fully vaccinated.

I think that the pandemic has made people more dependent on others. We should all be considerate of other people’s times and realize that they have a life of their own and cannot be available for us at all times. I’ve noticed that this pandemic has brought people together (which is good). I also think that many of us have crossed others’ boundaries at least once.

Have you become more reliant on others since the pandemic started?

I have never read this text but it seems you summed it up nicely and had an interesting reflection about what it means for the relationships we have with people that have lasted through the pandemic. I think it would add to this post to include a quote from the text.

Dear Ana,

This is a very interesting topic, and I haven’t really seen much about it before. I think that the pandemic either made people closer or pushed people apart, depending on the type of relationship and the situation. For example, if someone was living with their parents throughout lockdown, they might either feel closer to them or more annoyed because they were cooped up with them for so long. Personally, I began to get sick of my parents during lockdown, and I felt disconnected from my friends. I believe that I actually became more self-reliant during this time. However, I do think that the pandemic has pushed some people over the edge due to reliant, overbearing friends, and now they just want some space.

Sayra

Dear Ana,
I find it interesting that now more than ever people are depending on one another. Many people are now starting to do things they’ve never done before on their own and that is good because we can’t always depend on others to do simple things such as cutting our hair.
This stood out to me ” I think that the pandemic has made people more dependent on others. We should all be considerate of other people’s times and realize that they have a life of their own and cannot be available for us at all times”. I agree with this because some people are not considerate and only think about themselves and don’t realize that other have their own life to live. People should me more considerate about those around them.

Hey Anna, this is a cool story. I’ll admit I’m a little confused as to whether or not the author won’t cut her friends hair because her friend is vaccinated or if she won’t cut her hair because she is not. But I like the conclusion in that a lot of people talk about feeling isolated from other but you argue that the pandemic has made us more dependent on one another, I like that take.

4
0
()