In the article, “Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month” I learned about Hispanic Heritage Month, the history behind it, why it’s an important celebration, and how to celebrate it. Hispanic heritage month starts on September 15 to October 15; September 15 being an independence day for many Latin American countries. This month is a time to recognize and celebrate the many contributions, diverse cultures, and extensive histories of the American Latino community. Celebrating this month should be about not only appreciating the Hispanic culture but also supporting the community, either by supporting hispanic-owned businesses or educating yourself about their history and all their contributions.

I think that bringing awareness to the Hispanic culture as well as facilitating a time for hispanic peoples to connect and celebrate their culture is important as it encourages inclusivity. I think it has become normalized for people to mistake culture appreciation with culture appropriation so making sure that this month can be used as an opportunity to highlight discrimination against Hispanics as well as a time for others celebrate their ancestors is important! Personally I feel like living in America has definitely made me feel disconnected with my culture at times so it just makes me wonder about how much Hispanic culture and history we’re ignorant to. Do you feel a disconnect to your culture? What do you think is the best way to reconnect and celebrate your culture?

0
()