Protester holds sign to show the power Floyd's impact has made.
Youth Voices
Youth Voices
The Impact of George Floyd
/

In the article, “George Floyd’s Death Sparks Massive Nationwide Protests” by Patricia Smith, I learned that the upsetting of George Floyd’s death, regardless of the upsetting actions, was also due to the previous deaths of Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor.  The reason these deaths have been so tragic and upsetting is due to the circumstances as Arbery was jogging when he got shot and Taylor was sitting in her home when she got shot as well.  George Floyds’ death was heartbreaking as it was caught on camera and he repeatedly tells the officer that he can’t breathe multiple times.  Also, according the fact that the reason the police officers were arresting him was because he was accused of using a counterfeit $20 to buy a pack of cigarettes at a convenience store. 

I think this event is a great turning point in Black Lives Matter and U.S. history.  Many people over the world, especially in the U.S. used their voices to bring awareness of the tragedies that are occurring and how it must be stopped. These tragedies are saddening, especially that they’ve been happening countless times and hasn’t been stopped.  I am glad that people are using their voices to fight for any injustices.  

How do you think people can gain justice?

February 15, 2022 8:32 pm

Dear Aaliyah
I am moved by your post “George Floyd’s Death” because it is really sad how someone’s life was taken because of their skin color and for no other apparent crime. I think it’s sad how this world is still like this even after several years of African Americans fighting for their rights.
One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ” However, the prosecutors were asking for a thirty-year sentence in prison. They were asking for more because they were stating that his knee on Floyd’s neck was intended to kill him.” This sentence stood out to me because it’s sad how someone would do such a thing to a person who has done nothing wrong.
Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I strongly agree with you on how someone could be so cruel to take someone’s life.

January 5, 2021 4:11 pm

I really like this post about George Floyd. I think everyone should have the same rights s everybody else no matter their skin color. Next, when people protest I think that is helping our society out and will eventually help us gain the same equality for everyone. Next, these violent killings make people think more about how blacks are being treated in today’s society. Lastly, these killings and violent acts need to stop so we can make our world a better place for everyone.

I agree that the circumstances in which they were killed is heartbreaking. I believe that these protests will be a step forward to gaining true equality. Everyone should have the same rights, under the law. I wish that happened in reality. These deaths have sparked a unity among people of different races, ages, etc. People around the world have been protesting together for equality. People can gain justice by sharing their opinions, protesting, signing petitions, and anything they can do to help. I just hope that true equality will be reached in the near future.

September 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Dear: Aaliyah
I am very interested about your post, “El Impacto de George Floyd,” because…It is something that moved millions of people because of racism and how they killed him was something cruel something that thanks to the racist police officer, George’s wife was left without a husband and her daughter without a father to see her grow up
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “George Floyd’s death sparks massive protests across the country” I think this is interesting because… It is something that moved and many people protested what they did to George, which was something that led them to teach that not only for being brown skin is criminal
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because…It is something that if I was moved by the racism that exists in many parts of the world
Daisy

Mariely
September 24, 2020 3:27 pm

I agree on how George Floyd death has had an impact in the world recently sparking protests from all around the world .This protest are a fight for the continuation of injustices against black people and police brutality which has been ongoing for years. I believe if people keep protesting , signing petitions , educating themselves and others on the topic and keep the resistance and keep doing research on these injustices against black people , and keep making our voices be heard against systematic racism . It’s a long fight but we are stronger together.

September 16, 2020 2:24 am

I think the protest people are trying to change history and how African-American people are getting treated now. I believe if people come together and keep using their voices then change could happen. In the picture, what caught my eye was the different races protesting. I think it’s even better because more people are helping out and showing that they care about multiple race/races.

6
0
()