silver iphone 6 beside silver macbook

As discussed in my previous blog post, “Empathy and the American Single Story”, Americans are in need of empathy now more than ever. With the stresses that the coronavirus pandemic induced, Americans need to feel understood and appreciated. The power of empathy is immeasurable. To feel completely understood by another is essential to live a meaningful life. The coronavirus pandemic left individuals feeling lost, anxious, misunderstood, and striving for meaningful connections. Seeing the death and pain that plagued our country, millions of Americans sought to reach out to others to create purposeful relationships and grow their empathy. 

Empathy is necessary to live each day with to be able to understand and sympathize with others. Additionally, “Empathy is the ability to emotionally understand what other people feel, see things from their point of view, and imagine yourself in their place” (Cherry). Empathy allows a person to recognize the feelings of another. It provides individuals with the ability to grow in their relationships with others. Scientific American states, “Out of all the fears, stresses and indignities our citizens are living with, there emerges a kind of primal insecurity that undermines every aspect of life right now” (Hall). Americans feel unsure of how to proceed with their lives. After months of social distancing and isolation from others, Americans are struggling to know how to act and empathize with others. The pandemic has resulted in a deficit in Americans’ empathy towards others. The solution to this problem is found in Americans themselves. The article encourages Americans to, “Take the time to ask those you encounter how they are feeling and really listen” (Hall). Americans need to take the time to understand others. Taking time to listen and trying to empathize with others will lead to the meaningful relationships that all Americans are in need of. It allows for mutual understanding and connections between people. Americans possess the capability to sympathize with others and create meaningful relationships during the coronavirus pandemic; this is found in their ability to empathize.               

Cherry, Kendra. “What Is Empathy?.” Verywell Mind, 2 May 2020, www.verywellmind.com/ what-is-empathy-2795562. Accessed 13. Jan. 2021. 

Hall, Judith. “The U.S. Has an Empathy Deficit.” Scientific American, 17 Sept. 2020, www.scien tificamerican.com/article/the-us-has-an-empathy-deficit/. Accessed 13 Jan. 2021. 

January 22, 2021 12:35 am

Molly,
I liked how you connected this blog post to your previous one which allowed me to understand the context of both of your writings. I also liked how you involved empathy and the current pandemic because those two can be very well linked together and you used them appropriately. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say!

1
0
()