Recently, I read The House of Hades, by Rick Riordan. I really enjoyed reading this book. This is because they are doing something harder than they ever faced before and now they are in Tartarus. Since there in Tartarus we get to see old enemies they’ve defeated and how monsters come back to the surface world.

The protagonists are Percy and Annabeth. Their story is set in current time in Tartarus, which is where monsters go after they die. The significance of the Tartarus setting is that demigods aren’t supposed to be in Tartarus so how will they survive? 

Annabeth and Percy face certain forces and pressures. They have to fight against dehydration and they have to fight monsters and escape while being badly injured. They meet these forces and pressures by deciding to team up with Bob the Titan who is now a friendly titan because Percy took his memories from being Iapetus. You can see this early in the book.

The tension rises when Percy gets poisoned and they have to go to Damasen who is a friendly giant. This might leave a reader feeling nervous. They might feel nervous because they are currently fighting giants, but now they have to ask one for help.

The book climaxes when they are at the gates and now they have to fight Tartarus himself who killed two titans in a single strike. 

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. Bob and Damasen make the sacrifice to hold open the elevator so Percy and Annabeth can make it to the surface. It’s a person v. person type of conflict that’s driving this story. This is because they had to fight their way out of Tartarus.

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()