My desire to become an independent woman and have the strength of being around people more often were the biggest challenges for my life. I could never be independent because my family did not trust me to go outside of the Black Neighborhood  that we were living. They have always believed that there was nothing impossible for Dee, but it was a lot of obstacles for me. It felt that just Dee was the only one who got a decent education and I was left behind. But I honestly can say that I have never envied my sister. Well I did want to become something more like her but that was all because I wanted to  get the acceptance of my family. 

The hardest part for me was feeling all those overwhelmed feelings in which my mom never gave me a hug, my grandmother looked at me in a different and unusual way. It felt that no one cared about me. I always felt left behind because I always wanted to have everything. And when I say everything, I mean love. But I never got anything. I was always lonely. I couldn’t have an education because I wasn’t someone’s favorite. But being someone’s favorite is  not the biggest achievement that anyone could have in their life. It was a struggle but it was like a nift stabbed in the chest but the more pain you have you need to keep it to yourself because you’re alone in a desert without any help to get out. 

As I was living in a world were black people still not accepted or mostly approved by society. I Maggie personally felt that beside all the differences that I was facing outside home were nothing compared to the ones I lived at home from own family. At a young age, I lived with my grandmother Mama and my sister Dee. Dee was always getting the best from everyone and I was always put last. There was not a specific reason of why she always get everything and my own family forget me. I have always been a great child as well as my sister but many people always thought that I felt a sense of envy towards her. In some ways I admire her because of her outgoing  personality and her strength to be an independent black young woman within all at home. 

February 7, 2020 2:56 am

Dear Denieris Marte
I am impressed by your short story, “The hidden Struggle of my life.” because of the way you show through your story that Maggie has never been happy. Even though it was clear that Maggie was a bit jealous of Dee, there was still confusion on whether or not this was jealousy or admiration.
One line that stands out for me is, “The hardest part for me was feeling all those overwhelmed feelings in which my mom never gave me a hug” I think this line is provoking because I thought the total opposite. I thought Maggie was the one that was loved by her mother genuinely and Dee was just showered with gifts.
Another set of lines that stands out for me is “I always felt left behind because I always wanted to have everything. And when I say everything, I mean love” I think these lines are expressif because it tells exactly how Maggie felt just by using words. Your story reminds me of a story that I once read. Where a girl called Clare she was jealous of her friend Irene. Because her friend had a happier life than her.
Thanks for your story. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I really like your sense of creativity and I think it will definitely make me read one of your stories next time.

February 3, 2020 5:33 pm

Dear, Denieris
I am so engaged to your short story because I can relate to this so much. As if right now I know how it feels when everyone in your life dislikes you. When you feel like your parent sees less potential in you then in your sister. That breaks you honestly in my household I get treated less then I am. One thing that you said that stands out to me is, “But being someones favorite is not the biggest achievement that anyone can have in their life”. I think this is interesting of you to say because its the truth its not so good. You feel some type of way. Your short story has so many similarities to my life.
Thanks for this short story. I look forward seeing what you write next time, maybe when it gets better.

January 26, 2020 10:10 pm

Dear Denieris:
I am very engaged to your story “The hidden Struggle of my life”, because of the choice that you made to describe a story like “ Everyday Use” that is already complicated but putting your point of view makes it such as understandable piece of writing that is analyzed in the best way to make it as clear as you could be able to put not just details of the story but to proof a piece of yourself as a writer in to an already established and developed almost a new story with the sense of the importance of Independent women. One of the most impacted pieces stated on your story that stands out to me is when you said, “The hardest part for me was feeling all those overwhelmed feelings in which my mom never gave me a hug, my grandmother looked at me in a different and unusual way. It felt that no one cared about me”. I think this line resemble how you got into the character’s feelings, because of the way that you are able to describe what she felt happening to her in a deeper way than what we could read shows how overwhelming her life was whole this creates a sense of satisfaction in the reader when a writer is able to make the deep of a description and characterization . Another quote that stands out for me is “As I was living in a world were black people still not accepted or mostly approved by society,” This clearly shows the racial roots and discrimination hiding in the story. Your story helps me to understand the they could be more lessons or ideas hiding in a story that we sometimes may not see because it needs to be seen through different lenses but bringing back the story with a more narrative tone was a very good idea because of the description almost letting the reader see how the character feels about how society and her family view her as an independent woman . “ Everyday Use” express more in a deeper way.
Thanks for your story. I look forward to seeing what you make next. What would bring me back to read any of your story is the appreciation to the description, narration and characterization in the story that is very much attached to the original version.

December 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Dear Deniers,

I am delighted by your story ” The hidden Struggle of my life” because your it is very heroically.

one line that stands out for me is, ” It was a struggle but it was like a nift stabbed in the chest but the more pain you have you need to keep it to yourself because you’re alone in a desert without any help to get out.” It really shows Maggie’s voice and what she felt about her family. the treat she got from her family this not make her satisfied because she want to be successful in her life but she couldn’t because what her family and society think about her. some times being someone favorite do not make you content.

Your story help me to understand the story very well and make me realize Maggie’s feelings. Also, still black people suffering and your story show their struggles.

Thanks for your beautiful story “The hidden Struggle of my life”. I look forward to seeing what you make next.

December 10, 2019 3:26 am

Dear Danieris
I am delighted about your short story, “The hidden Struggle of my life,” because in life a child can not really express how they feel toward their family. They always want to hide it but some have the courage to do it so. Like your story, Maggie is so lonely but we can see that she is her personality is supporting her. I like the way she can see herself without her family’s support. She dealing with a lot of pressions but her kindness and courage is helping her to build a strong woman. One line that stands out for me is, “Well I did want to become something more like her but that was all because I wanted to get the acceptance of my family. ” I think this line is stirring because despite all she wants, she is just thinking about her family. It is like that she need a benediction from her family to do what she desires. Another line that stands out for me is, “It was a struggle but it was like a nift stabbed in the chest but the more pain you have you need to keep it to yourself because you’re alone in a desert without any help to get out. ” I think this line is interesting because I liked the way you are using metaphor to compare a person feeling to real life obstacle.Thanks for your for your story I am looking forward to read another story of yours.

5
0
()