I decided to read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls for my English class. I chose to read this based on the interesting plot and my brother’s recommendation. So far, this book has had a very interesting plot that has kept me hooked. I’ve been invested in this story from the very beginning, and have a hard time putting it down sometimes. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting memoir.

The book tells the story of Jeannette Walls’ childhood and shows how it shaped her into the person she became. It talks about certain events of her childhood and her parents’ actions to show how they impacted Jeannette. She starts talking about her first memories and then memories as she gets older to show the factors that formed her to be the person she is.

Jeannette Walls uses a childlike point of view to keep you in her mind throughout the story. Her word choices and descriptions make you see things the same way she did at that age. A quote from a chapter is, “It looked scraggly and feverish, permanently stuck in its twisted, tortured position, and it made me think of how some adults tell you not to make weird faces because your features could freeze.” This quote illustrates how her writing style makes you think from her point of view as a child. It uses childlike descriptions and comparisons so that it really puts you in the mind of Jeannette as a child.

Overall, this book tells a really fascinating tale of Jeannette’s childhood. It’s very interesting to be able to compare her upbringing to my own. I’m looking forward to finishing the book to read more of the interesting and formative events in her life. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good memoir to read.

0
()