Should self-driving cars be allowed to drive on public roads? States across the nation seem to think so, as more and more states continue to legalize autonomous vehicles. California is one of those states, legalizing self-driving cars within its state borders. With a total of 27 companies that have permits to drive autonomous cars on public roads, and more to follow the question must be asked, is it safe to have these cars on public roads? As testing proves the self-driving cars more effective and safe than their human counterparts, the answer is becoming more and more clear. Self-driving cars are the future of the automobile industry, and they may be coming faster than we think.

With new technological advances in companies such as Waymo, self-driving cars are making huge strides in consistent safe driving. Waymo’s vehicles have sensors and software that are designed to detect pedestrians, cyclists, vehicles, road work and more from a distance of up to two football fields away in all directions. With more than 94% of all automobile accidents due to human error, Waymo claims that with further testing their cars can reduce this number to almost 0.

But Waymo isn’t the only company that is producing self-driving cars. Big automobile companies like GM and Ford are also hopping on the autonomous vehicle train. Both claiming that they will have self-driving cars on the market within the next few years.

In conclusion, self-driving cars are clearly the future of driving. The question is a matter of when they will be safe enough to drive on public roads by the average consumer. It is sure to have a lot of complications in the future, but lets hope that they will be released to the public soon

Alex
January 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi Koji,
I found your article to be very interesting and informing on the topic of self-driving cars. It does seem like self-driving cars are the way of the future, with safety concerns being the main obstacle. When self-driving cars start to become more common, on the road, car insurance could change drastically as well. Overall, I think this topic will continue to be the topic of popular debate.

1
0
()