The Fermi Paradox stems from the simple insight that for every grain of sand on Earth there is 100 habitable, earth like planets in our universe- a total of 100 billion earth-like planets. Let’s imagine that after billions of years in existence, 1% of Earth-like planets develop life (if that’s true, every grain of sand would represent one planet with life on it). And imagine that on 1% of those planets, the life advances to an intelligent level like it did here on Earth. That would mean there were 10 quadrillion, or 10 million billion intelligent civilizations in the observable universe. Moving back to just our galaxy, and doing the same math on the lowest estimate for stars in the Milky Way (100 billion), we’d estimate that there are 1 billion Earth-like planets and 100,000 intelligent civilizations in our galaxy alone.

Those calculations are what brings this paradox to question, why haven’t we heard from, or encountered any forms of alien life, and more importantly, what does this mean for our civilization as a whole? These questions are obviously intriguing, and have an infinite number of solutions, all of which are merely hypothetical.

For that reason, I chose this topic as the topic I’d like to research for the next six weeks. I will be attempting to provide philosophical proofs to unorthodox ways of looking at this paradox, and I hope to come out of this paper with new insights into the expanse (or barrier) into the study and exploration of our cosmos.

Shelby
February 3, 2017 2:32 am

I have never heard of this paradox, and I am already intrigued with the information you presented. You asked previously why hadn’t any aliens or forms of life contacted earth. Do you think that they have tried or have contacted us? If so, do you think the public is hidden from it by the government? I am excited to read more!

1
0
()