Hazel Grace Lancaster, the protagonist in The Fault in Our Stars, has a few traits that influence her relationships with others.

One, she is cautious. Two, she is scared.  Three, she is courageous.

These traits influence her relationships with others. “‘Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but a Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile.’”  Her fear comes into play here when the readers see that Hazel is a closed off person. Hazel does not want to get too close to people because she is scared of having them lose her. Because of her cancer she stops herself from getting to know other people and not living her life to the fullest.

Later, on page 99, Augustus Waters interacts with Hazel Grace Lancaster, basically crushing on her. “‘I’m like. Like. I’m like a grenade, Mom. I’m a grenade and at some point I’m going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, Okay…I just want to stay away from people and read books and think and be with you guys because there is nothing I can do about hurting you; you’re too invested, so just please let me do that, okay?’” Hazel Grace Lancaster’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of her cautiousness, and sparks a feeling of sadness. The reader is aware that she feels the same for Augustus throughout the book but instead the readers see Hazel pull back because she does not want to hurt anyone. 

1. Cindy 2 weeks ago

I have read this book and also seen the movie so I completely understand what you are trying to say and I agree, Hazel is a very cautious person and she does not want anyone to feel sorry for her in any way. I agree with the three characteristics you identified her as because throughout the whole movie and book she identifies herself as scared, cautious and courageous.
    Thank You …

Cindy Reynosa

2. Grace 3 weeks ago

I really enjoyed reading this piece. I myself have seen this movie and read the book may time. I agree with everything you have written. I really liked how you included the quotes and how you said she was cautious, scared, and courageous.