Dating back to the Reagan era, the US educational system was appointed as, “ A nation at risk”. In 1994, the Educational Testing Service reported that 42% of college students had the skills to do basic tasks such as summarize an article and other problems written on a test. In 2015, American kids took the same test from 1994 and scored near the bottom. Authors of, Is There a Cure for the Collapse of the US Education System?, say that American

education is brought down by progressive ideas that dominate only US schools. Progressives thought that only a few elites should lead society and the rest are governed by them. Few students would receive a full academic program of literature, math, history, and science. Everyone else would learn basic life skills such as hygiene or vocational training. The theory was tested and researchers developed The Stanford Binet Intelligence test that would predict which students were more likely to go to college and which should be guided into vocational programs. The author then presents three means to improve the US education system. The first one is to deploy phonics as a method of teaching reading because most Americans are semi-illiterate and many schools are abandoning effective methods of teaching reading. The second solution is to focus on academic subjects in school and practical life skills should be left to the parents or after school activities. The author claims that Schools should be teaching students basic thinking skills. Lastly, academic subjects should be taught in the proper order, starting from the beginning and gradually moving up in order.

Source: Bernstein, Andrew. USA Today Magazine. Sep2019, Vol. 148 Issue 2892, p46-47. 2p.

0
()