Recently, I read The Elite, by Kiera Cass.  I enjoyed and absorbed this book. This has become a favorite book series of mine. The characters of the book are lovable, interesting, and contrastive. It is an amazing book that shows America’s dynamic character and her relationship with Maxon, her maids, friends, and family.

The protagonist is America. Her story is set in the future in a new country called Illea, specifically formerly the United States of America. The significance of the country setting is that it is important to America’s exposition and the country’s origin. The significance of the setting shifting from America’s hometown to the palace is that America is presented with opportunities at the palace she hasn’t had before. America can also speak on subjects and make a change while staying with the country’s leaders.

America faces certain forces and pressures. America is amongst a group of five other girls fighting for the crown and Maxon’s heart. She meets these forces and pressures by deciding to take the competition more seriously and not be afraid to challenge others. You can see this later in the book on chapter 27 America is presenting an Idea to the nation and says “I think we should eliminate the Castes.”

The tension rises when The King gets furious and lashes out. This might leave a reader feeling upset and disgusted. The King takes his anger out on his son, Maxon, and physically abuses him.

The book climaxes when the king continues to berate America and in retaliation she decides to take the competition more seriously. “‘If she’s going to win, we need a plan.’ Her smile was diabolical, and I grinned with her. I’d never met anyone as organized as these girls. If I had them, there was no way I would lose.”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. America stands for others and fights for her position.  It’s a person vs society type of conflict that’s driving this story. America fights society’s standards and expectations of her. She also stands up for those mistreated and overlooked in the country. America is a strong leader who represents those lower castes and fights for them all.

1. Alex 1 week ago

Dear Jaylene:
    I am interested in your post, “The Elite: An Absorbing Book about Standing up for Those Mistreated and Overlooked,” because your book sends a message within the story.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I enjoyed and absorbed this book. This has become a favorite book series of mine. The characters of the book are lovable, interesting, and contrastive. It is an amazing book that shows America’s dynamic character and her relationship with Maxon, her maids, friends, and family.” I think this is fascinating because in a book you are supposed to be entertained by the book and understand it as well.

Another sentence that I seen was: “America fights society’s standards and expectations of her. She also stands up for those mistreated and overlooked in the country. America is a strong leader who represents those lower castes and fights for them all.” This stood out for me because it shows the perspective that America went through.

I do agree with you that this book is enjoyable. One reason I say this is that the theme of the story is quite fascinating where a woman has to face a group of people doubting her. Another reason I agree with you is from what you described, the book seems to be taught well.

Have you seen this book called wonder by R.J Palacio? probably have but, I thought you might be interested in this because of the similarities of the two books.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of how you describe the books and what book you read next. – Alex C

2. Bethzy 1 week ago

Dear Jaylene,

I am interested by your post about the book “The Elite” by Kiera Cass because this reminded me about a movie that i have seen that has a similar plot but different situations to this book. The sentence that made me think about this movie is where you wrote “America faces certain forces and pressure”.

In the movie that i watched that has a similar plot is called ” A Christmas prince: The royal wedding” this movie is about a king who is going to marry a girl but she not no royal family girl she a normal girl, she dosen’t know that much about royal families and how they are like. During the movie she was having trouble to get used to everything the royal family does. She was giving a lot of pressure and she didn’t know how to handle it. She also wanted to help the people who were overlooked. This is why this book reminded me about this movie because they have similarities but they are different situations.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this is going to be one of the books i’m going to read next.

3. Luisa 1 week ago

Dear Jaylene :
    I am curious, about your post, because you made me think of the book in a different way.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “America fights society’s standards and expectations of her. She also stands up for those mistreated and overlooked in the country. America is a strong leader who represents those lower castes and fights for them all..>” I think this is great because in the book they put them in different groups based on income, work, kids.
    Thanks for your writing.