school of fish in body of water

The world as we know it is crumbling under our feet everyday. The world 

itself is made of 70 percent water yet, only 13 percent of that water has intact marine ecosystems while the rest have all been destroyed by humans (McCarthy). Day by day, the ocean and its inhabitants decrease in species of plants and animals, plants and animals that the ocean needs. Not only does the ocean need these to survive, but us humans need these plants and animals alive and well in order for us to survive. Since humans do not necessarily live in water, it prompts people to not think it is not as important as the actual land that we live on and maybe not care as much about its destruction. The destruction of marine life is just the beginning to the destruction of human life and the entire world we live in. 

The two main causes of the destruction of marine life are natural disasters such 

as typhoons, hurricanes, and tsunamis (“Marine Habitat Destruction — National Geographic.”). These natural disasters are easy to recover from pertaining to ocean life. The second cause is human activities which are much more lasting and consistent in marine life. These activities include pouring pollutants into the ocean such as plastic and garbage, destructive fishing techniques such as dynamiting, and simply tourism which brings in container ships, boaters, crude oil spills which kill thousands of fish and birds, and snorkelers who come into direct contact with fragile reefs (Smith). All these factor into the numerous amounts of endangered plants and animal species in the ocean. The ocean becomes more and more acidic everyday when it is actually one of the main sources of oxygen. The ocean is taking in large amounts of carbon dioxide and is unable to give us back the oxygen that we need. The specific plants that take in this carbon dioxide and emit oxygen are almost extinct (“Habitat Destruction.” ). Without the help of these plants, half of our supply of oxygen will be gone.

At this point, it would take decades and extreme measures to fully restore all 

species of plants and animals in the ocean back to its original state. Fortunately there are many simple things we can do to help the ocean in our everyday lives. While at home some easy things you can do to help save the ocean is conserving water. When you use less water it reduces the excess runoff wastewater that ends up flowing into the ocean polluting it (US Department of Commerce). When using cleaning products it is very important to dispose of those harsh cleaning chemicals properly or just simply purchase nontoxic chemicals (US Department of Commerce). Lastly, cut down on the plastic. In this day and age it seems like everything is made of plastic and is just so normal in our everyday lives. Think about purchasing a reusable water bottle or purchasing products that have limited amounts of plastic packaging. It is also important to use reusable bags when grocery shopping. More easy ideas to help save the ocean and our planet itself is carpooling to reduce vehicle pollution, do not overset your thermostat, practice safe boating, and treat the habitat with care and respect (US Department of Commerce). 

The destruction of marine life is just the beginning to the destruction of human life and 

the entire world we live in. Though it would take very long to fully restore the destruction of marine life, following through with these simple rules you can help the ocean day by day instead of harming it. It is also very crucial to share these easy tasks with others and preach about how easy it is to follow through with these rules and incorporate them into your everyday life. The ocean does not have any more room to be destroyed but it has plenty of room to be restored. With the help of these simple rules we can hopefully one day restore all the marine life that has been harmed or become extinct.

“Habitat Destruction.” Ocean Health Index, 

www.oceanhealthindex.org/methodology/components/habitat-destruction-intertidal. 

“Marine Habitat Destruction — National Geographic.” Environment, National Geographic, 10 

Feb. 2021, www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/critical-issues-marine-habitat-destruction. 

McCarthy, Joe. “87% Of Our Oceans Are Damaged By Human Impact, Report Warns.” Global 

Citizen, www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/87-of-worlds-oceans-are-dying-climate-change/. 

Smith, Clare. “Degradation of the Ecosystem in the Philippines.” Sciencing, 2 Mar. 2019, 

sciencing.com/degradation-ecosystem-philippines-23752.html. 

US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “How Can 

You Help Our Ocean?” NOAA’s National Ocean Service, 28 June 2016, oceanservice.noaa.gov/ocean/help-our-ocean.html.