Most death penalty cases involve the execution of murderers although capital punishment can also be applied for treason, espionage, and other crimes. Proponents of the death penalty say it is an important tool for preserving law and order, deters crime, and costs less than life imprisonment. They argue that retribution or “an eye for an eye” honors the victim, helps console grieving families, and ensures that the perpetrators of heinous crimes never have an opportunity to cause future tragedy. Opponents of capital punishment say it has no deterrent effect on crime, wrongly gives governments the power to take human life, and perpetuates social injustices by disproportionately targeting people of color (racist) and people who cannot afford good attorneys (classist). They say lifetime jail sentences are a more severe and less expensive punishment than death.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/

Cases without the death penalty cost $740,000, while cases where the death penalty is sought cost $1.26 million. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Jahkym
April 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I feel that capital punishment or the death penalty is bad. As you said in the letter “They say that it’s an important tool for preserving law and order.” The government also believes in “ an eye for an eye”, but in most cases race plays into the issue. A white person could kill a black person and no justice would be done, but a black person could kill a white person and have the whole world against them.

1
0
()