In our world today many have directed the majority of their attention to the election. When we watch the news and debates, individuals form opinions based on what they’re hearing. Based on what news channel you’re listening to, that reporter might be biased and give you a false interpretation. I think that we should listen to a variety of different individuals who come from different backgrounds because their perspectives can vary depending on what they are experiencing, even if they don’t share the same beliefs as you (Yoon). We need to be open in accepting  hearing more opinions, instead of always just siding with one belief.

Majority of the news sources edit out their own opinions, but most of the popular channels don’t filter out their opinions. Most people share the popular news channels around the media, which then spreads false information and biased opinions to many others (Watson). When people post on social media, their goal is to change your public opinion on a certain topic and to mislead you into thinking that they’re information is true (Aggarwal). Many times individuals will post fake news that agrees with their opinions, in hopes that others will side with them. Everything we view on the media gives us a false identity of who someone really is. It’s important to put yourself in someone’s else’s shoes, especially when false information is shared about them. Empathy heals conflict, so when you can’t identify with someone, then you most likely won’t show empathy towards them. It’s very important to make sure your receiving accurate information nowadays because we need to be educated as much as possible with everything happening around us. 

Aggarwal, Swati, et al. “Media Bias Detection and Bias Short Term Impact Assessment.” Array, Elsevier, 18 Apr. 2020, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590005620300102.

Watson, J. Joseph. “Yes, News Media Bias Is Very Real. And It’s Harder than Ever to 

Separate Fact from Fiction.” GOOD, GOOD, 20 May 2020, 

www.good.is/Politics/news-bias-is-real-how-to-find-the-truth.

Yoon, Phillip. “Why We Need to Listen to Other People’s Opinions.” Letter, 28 Mar. 

2020, 

www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2020/03/why-we-need-to-listen-to-other-peoples-opinions.

1. Brooke 4 weeks ago

Dear Lydia,
    I am very intrigued by your post because I feel as though this concept is overlooked by many people, especially in regards to the election. People tend to believe everything they see in media and disregard the bias that may be present.
    One thing you said that especially stood out to me was when you quoted Swati Arggarwal saying, “when people post on social media, their goal is to change your public opinion on a certain topic and to mislead you into thinking that they’re information is true.” I think this is correct, and it reminds me of celebrity culture. People become obsessed with the seemingly perfect lives of celebrities, but fail to recognize their flaws. People must realize that the social media posts of celebrities are meant to please their followers, most times excluding their humanly struggles that everyone experiences.
    Your post reminds me of a research project I did in 8th grade about the negative effects of social media. I highlighted the importance of not believing everything you see, because it often causes people to feel as though their lives are inferior or unimportant, many times leading to mental health problems. While this is not the case for all biased media posts, it is an important effect to consider.
    Thank you for your post, and I look forward to reading what you create next because I feel as though you focused on a very relevant and relatable topic for this generation.

2. Josie Hathaway 4 weeks ago

Dear Lydia, I am very interested with your post because I believe fake news is an issue not many people realize and fully understand. Fake news, or news that is completely biased is constantly posted on popular news outlets, such as CNN, which is unfortunate, as many people do not realize this. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Many times individuals will post fake news that agrees with their opinions, in hopes that others will side with them.” This quote stands out to me because I think social media outlets have turned into an environment where people turn to in order to keep up with certain trends and post about certain topics that they don’t have true information on. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. I recently found a post about a political figure that was very critical and disrespectful, and I wanted to learn more about it and found that the information posted was exaggerated, and very unnecessary. I realized that everything I see on social media is not true. I think that people must realize that they can only rely on themselves and their own personal research to create opinions, not social media and news.
    Thank you for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your insight here is very fascinating and relevant to today’s politics. I also believe your article is great because it encourages respect and decency between those of different opinions.

3. Annie 1 month ago

Lydia, I enjoyed your writing and I completely agree! With all the biased news channels and outlets it is hard to find the truth nowadays. Not even necessarily the “truth” but the unbiased facts. I loved how you said ” I think that we should listen to a variety of different individuals who come from different backgrounds because their perspectives can vary depending on what they are experiencing…”. That explains your point of broadening where you get your news from to get all of the information from different point of views. Great writing!

4. Paige 1 month ago

Lydia, I really like how you said, “Empathy heals conflict, so when you can’t identify with someone, then you most likely won’t show empathy towards them.” I agree with this because if you do have empathy for someone you are less likely to get mad or start a conflict with them and more likely to be kind and gentle with them. I also think that identifying with them also comes into play because if you do not feel a connection with someone, you cannot easily see things from their perspective.