Try to stop the spread of false information

2021 just started, which means the news has been centered around politics and the vaccine lately. With everything happening related to the elections and COVID, fake news has been spreading more rapidly. Dr. Anthony Fauci explained how President Donald Trump tweeted a misleading fact about the numbers of infected individuals and deaths in the country due to the virus. Fauci cleared the false claim up by stating that the deaths are in fact real and that if you were to go visit a hospital you would see all people sick in bed. 

In order to reduce the spread of fake news, Buchanan suggested that when we come across fake news we should do nothing about it. When we call someone out, it just does more harm than good. Buchanan stated how fake news has been used to try to influence political processes and the spread of false information online may discourage people from getting vaccinated. It can be tempting to comment on false information, but when we do then it increases the likelihood of it reaching other people.

Older immigrants who don’t follow along with the mainstream English-language are more likely to hear and receive disinformation about American politics. Most immigrants receive information from their friends, rather than news channels or a messenger platform (Hong). 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/running-numbers-fauci-laments-surging-covid-deaths-trump/story?id=75015805
https://www.niemanlab.org/2021/01/how-to-reduce-the-spread-of-fake-news-by-doing-nothing/
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/20/opinion/fake-news-disinformation-immigrants.html

1. Camille 1 month ago

Lydia,

I really liked how you posed a problem and then explained a variety of important reasons why this is such a major issue. I completely agree that any spread of misinformation especially from our country’s leaders is very damaging and can pose several risks. I also found it really interesting how you mentioned that Buchanan said to simply do nothing about fake news. This is a very good point that I may not have thought to do.

Camille

2. Amarylis 1 month ago

Lydia,

I love how you are bringing up this topic especially during this time. I think you made your argument very clear and your text was easy to understand and follow. Fake news can be tricky to handle but as a society we should try to stop it from spreading through different variations, including the one Buchanan suggests. It is easier to be influenced by fake news like this and it makes it easier to spread with social media. I love your writing and this topic is super important. You did such a great job! 🙂

3. Kaylee 1 month ago

Dear Lydia,

I am very interested in your post because it discusses a topic that is concerning to most people right now, especially with all of the newsworthy events that are currently taking place. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Buchanan suggests that when we come across fake news we should do nothing about it.” I think this is fascinating because I have never heard that advice before. I agree that it is not good to draw attention to fake news, so ignoring it may be the best way to avoid the spread of it. Thanks for your writing and I look forward to seeing what you write next!

4. Paige 1 month ago

Lydia,

I really like how your post discusses that we should not try to correct that fake news and give it more attention then it deserves. I also agree that if there is a lot of drama surrounding a topic, people will become confused and will not know what to believe about the subject. I also think that this will help people with more self-discipline and help others to think before they comment on social media posts. Great job with this post! Hope to see more from you in the future!