Recently, I read  Harry Potter And The Chambers of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling.  I loved this book. After having read the first book the readers are given more action because the first book was introducing us to the story and the characters. The readers see more action and the readers learn more about the characters. More danger to Harry Potter and his friends keep increasing.

The protagonist is Harry Potter. His story is set at Hogwarts in 2002 to 2003, specifically four privet drive and Hogwarts. The significance of the Hogwarts setting is that this is the only place where Harry can be himself and be loved while doing magic which he is forbidden to do at his aunt and uncle’s place. The significance of the setting shifting from privet drive to Hogwarts is that Harry Potter can do magic. Harry can confront Voldemort and save his friends and the wizarding world. He can be himself and make his magical parents proud. 

Harry Potter faces certain forces and pressures. Harry Potter and everyone at Hogwarts is terrified because there is a rumour that the chambers of secret was opened and all muggle-borns are scared because they are scared to be petrified. Last time the chambers of secrets were opened some girl died. Harry Potter on top of that is hearing voices and has to deal with Draco’s bullying and people believing that he is the one who opened the chambers of secrets. He meets these forces and pressures by deciding to follow the voice that he continues to hear telling someone to kill. He decides to figure out more about the chambers of secret and who opened it last time. You can see this early in the book on page 138.

The tension rises when everyone in the school finds out that Harry Potter is a parsel tongue making everyone assume that he is the Heir of Slytherin. This might leave a reader feeling scared for Harry Potter. The readers are scared for him because the readers are aware that Harry was not even aware that he could speak Parseltongue and the readers also know that Harry would never open the chambers of secrets and purposefully hurt any of the muggle borns. 

The book climaxes when Ginny Weasly has been taken into the Chambers of secrets and she has to be saved by Harry but he has to be careful because if Harry looks into the eyes of the Basilisk he could die but he also confronts Tom Riddle to happen to be Lord Voldemort. “‘Why do you care how I escaped?’ said Harry slowly. ‘Voldemort,’ said Riddle softly, ‘is my past, present, and future Harry Potter …’ He pulled Harry’s wand from his pocket and began to trace it through the air, writing three shimmering words: TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE. Then he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name rearranged themselves: I AM LORD VOLDEMORT”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. Fawkes comes to rescue Harry by giving him the sword of Gryffindor and blinding the Basilisk. When Harry killed the basilisk and retreated one of its teeth he was able to destroy the diary which destroyed Tom Riddle’s soul.   It’s a  person v. person type of conflict that’s driving this story. Voldemort had set out that he wanted to kill Harry’s parents and him and by having failed to kill Harry he made it his goal to kill Harry when the time came. Each year Voldemort tries and tries with the help of his supporters to kill Harry and Harry tries to fight him off/ back.