I believe that there are many American beliefs and values but none are more important to the current common population then striving for the American Dream. The American Dream isn’t the same as it used to be, it has changed a lot since the term was originally coined in the early 1900s. Originally it was all about having land, living in a free country, having family and friends which is what the song God Bless America talks about as it praises our country (Berlin). However, now I feel like it’s more about having the most wealth. If you have noticed most people in our generation care about their money and what they can buy, and less about their value of life and their families. Not everyone is like this, there’s a good majority that is still old-fashioned, but if you are observant you’ll notice that many decisions are towards increasing wealth. For example, students in schools looking at their futures decide to journey on a path that will lead them to a job that pays the most, instead of a path that leads to something they really enjoy doing. Also, with sports betting recently becoming legalized (Tackle). That’s just another way people will try to make money without getting into trouble. In addition, you commonly see people (mostly teens) who have to have the newest iPhones, the designer shoes, and the Gucci belts, especially because companies such as Nike are targeting the youth “Figure out not just who their customers are now, but who their customers are going to be in five years, 10 years and beyond” (Wolken).  but none of that really matters in the long run because it isn’t going to contribute to your future success to America or their true happiness. The majority of the current population is chasing money instead of the values and beliefs that grant the most happiness in life.

Berlin, Irving. “God Bless America.” Scout Songs, 1938. www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/godblessamerica.html.

“Tackle the Rush to Sports Gambling.” Christian Science Monitor, 30 Aug. 2018. SIRS Issues Researcher, www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2018/0830/Tackle-the-rush-to-sports-gambling.

Wolken, Dan. “Just watch it: Nike’s Colin Kaepernick TV ad is inspirational, not controversial.” USA Today, 7 Sept. 2018, www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/09/07/nikes-colin-kaepernick-tv-ad-inspirational-not-controversial/1223106002/. 

Photo by Chancy Rendezvous

Elijah

This article is very inspiring it makes me want to go out and do American things in America.

1
0
()