Jean Louise “Scout” Finch, the protagonist in To Kill a Mockingbird, has a few traits that influence her relationships with others.

One, she is confident. Two, she is thoughtful.  Three, she is empathetic. 

These traits influence her relationships with others. “ I tried to climb into Jem’s skin and walk around in it: if I had gone alone to the Radley Place at two in the morning, my funeral would have been held the next afternoon. So I left Jem alone and tried not to bother him… One afternoon when we were crossing the schoolyard toward home, Jem suddenly said: “There’s something I didn’t tell you.” As this was his first complete sentence in several days, I encouraged him: “About what?” “About that night.”… “When I went back for my breeches—they were all in a tangle when I was gettin’ out of ’em, I couldn’t get ’em loose. When I went back—” Jem took a deep breath. “When I went back, they were folded across the fence … like they were expectin’ me.” “Across—” “And something else—” Jem’s voice was flat. “Show you when we get home. They’d been sewed up. Not like a lady sewed ’em, like somethin’ I’d try to do. All crooked. It’s almost like—” “—somebody knew you were comin’ back for ’em.” Jem shuddered. “Like somebody was readin’ my mind … like somebody could tell what I was gonna do. Can’t anybody tell what I’m gonna do lest they know me, can they, Scout?” Jem’s question was an appeal. I reassured him: “Can’t anybody tell what you’re gonna do lest they live in the house with you, and even I can’t tell sometimes.”

thoughtfulness comes into play here when she tries to comfort jem. Scout tries to reassure Jem and makes him feel okay and safe.

Later, on page 278, Arthur Radley, or Boo Radley interacts with Scout , basically she’s empathetic to him. “ I led him to the front porch, where his uneasy steps halted. He was still holding my hand and he gave no sign of letting me go. “Will you take me home?” He almost whispered it, in the voice of a child afraid of the dark. I put my foot on the top step and stopped. I would lead him through our house, but I would never lead him home. “Mr. Arthur, bend your arm down here, like that. That’s right, sir.” I slipped my hand into the crook of his arm. He had to stoop a little to accommodate me,…” Scout’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of her empathy, and sparks a feeling of appreciation. 

1. Matthew 3 months ago

I liked how you added a lot of quotes in the the book to help us understand her traits as a in a relationship, good job.