Gun laws are laws that should be taken into serious consideration when any person can walk into a store and buy one. The article “Should There be more restrictions for purchasing guns and ammunition?”, says that policies discussed for buying guns have included “raising the age to buy a gun, requiring a federal background check before buying a gun, and raising taxes on ammunition to discourage its purchase.” All of these actions are laws that make it harder for just anyone to go in and buy guns which in turn make guns safer all around. People who are not mentally stable or that do not know how to use guns, should not be able to own one because it puts themselves and others in serious danger. 

The article “Should there be more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?”, says “Gun control laws have always sparked one of the most controversial debates in the United States”. Proponents of more gun control laws state that more restrictions will decrease gun violence. People will use the second amendment and argue that gun ownership is an individual’s right for self-defence. People should be able to have the right to self-defence, but there are certain people who should have access to guns, and there are certain people who should not have access to owning a gun. This is why there needs to be restrictions on who is allowed to have guns, restrictions need to be better and harder to meet the requirements. 

Gun laws are always a very controversial topic because some people agree that gun laws need to be more strict, and some people believe that everyone has the right of owning a gun. Gun laws become very political because of the two opposing views of the topic. Gun violence will decrease with more restrictions and with more restrictions, guns become less dangerous to humans but better for self defense or other things guns will be used for. 

1. Jenna 3 weeks ago

Hi Ariana! I really liked your writing and way of stating we should have stricter gun laws. I also agree that we need to have stricter gun laws. I think that if they made the age higher it would help. I also think that if we had people take a psychological evaluation or test to see if there mental health is in the right place would also help in order to stop having guns get into the hands of mentally ill people. I think if we lived in a perfect world were there were no bad people there would simply not be a need for people to feel like they need a gun, but since we don’t live in a perfect world I can understand why people would want to protect themselves.

2. Annie 3 weeks ago

Ariana,
    I really enjoyed your writing and think this is a great topic to bring more light to. I agree that background checks should be something that is required when buying a gun. Raising prices and taxes don’t seem to be protecting anyone just making guns harder for some people to purchase. You were right in saying that this is a very touchy subject because people views on this issue can be so different. I believe that no matter what if someone wants to own a gun they will find a way. Stricter gun laws are ideal in keeping people safe but I don’t believe that will fix the problem.

3. Victor 3 weeks ago

I’m glad someone can say something about gun law. People are quick to say no to it. Its very informative so thank you for sharing.

4. Jenna 3 weeks ago

5. Dylan 3 weeks ago

Hey Ariana,

I should applaud you for taking a strong stance on an extremely controversial topic. These are the things that get anyone a ton of vile hate from netizens that disagree with the persons’ viewpoints. I agree that more should be done to restrict gun use among certain people such as the mentally troubled and others that pose a great danger to others as well as themselves. I agree that we can have stricter gun laws while protecting owners’ rights to self defense. One question I have is how can people like you effectively lobby our politicians for this cause?

6. Maxwell 3 weeks ago

This is a great article! You bought the perspective of both ideologies in one writing and elaborated on it. I agree with you on we should make it harder for people to get a gun and conceal it. But they need to focus on harsher background checks.

7. Carter 3 weeks ago

I agree that gun control laws are needed to keep people safe. It is easier to buy a gun than to get a loan in many places in the United States. Personally I struggle with the idea if having gun should be a right. Other first world countries have all but banned guns all together and had less gun violence because of this. Some argue that having a gun is right for their own protection, but often people with guns often end up hurting themselves or someone innocent more than preventing any violence.

8. Eric 3 weeks ago

Hi Ariana. I think that your essay covered a topic that is considered controversial well. I agree with you that serious gun control laws should be considered, especially in such a turbulent time as now. While I understand that the right to own a firearm is protected by the second amendment, it makes sense to have some regulations regarding the purchase of a gun. One thing that I’ve thought about, however, is how such regulations may affect violent crimes committed in the US. I think about how prohibition was never really effective and how that situation has some parallels to this issue. Do you think that gun control could face the same fate?

9. Amulya 3 weeks ago

Ariana, I agree that gun laws are laws that should be taken into serious consideration. I agree that people who would misuse the gun should not be given a gun in the first place, but how would you be able to stop a bad person from illegally getting a gun? I think that this may be very hard to do. Therefore, I think that gun restrictions should not be too strict because people need access to them for self-defense. What do others think about this topic?

10. Derek 3 weeks ago

I agree with most that you have said like how we should try to keep guns from people that are going to be dangerous but my question to you is how are we going to keep unregistered guns out of the hands of bad people? Since these guns are unregistered I feel that any restrictions we put on guns aren’t going to do anything since there is no way to track down these unregistered guns. I am interested in hearing what solutions others may have as well.

11. Alexander 3 weeks ago

Hi Ariana,
    I like your essay and applaud you for taking a strong stance on such a controversial topic. I would like to hear more of what you have to say. Do you think these restrictions are enough? What else do you think should be done to make guns safer?

12. Jaylene 1 month ago

Dear Ariana,
    I am intrigued by your Essay, “The benefits of strict gun laws,” because it was a very well written and informative essay that enjoyed reading. I believe gun laws should be more strict and it’s a major issue, this essay really showed the controversy with gun laws.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ People who are not mentally stable or that do not know how to use guns, should not be able to own one because it puts themselves and others in serious danger.” I think this is important to say because too many people are hurt by guns because of how accessible they are and who can get them.
    Another sentence that I agree with was: “ Gun violence will decrease with more restrictions and with more restrictions, guns become less dangerous to humans but better for self defense or other things guns will be used for. ” This stood out for me because I agree with your statements and how gun violence will decrease and how it could be put to different use.
    I do agree with you that gun control is a controversial topic. One reason I say this is because many people argue and bicker over this subject. Another reason I agree with you is that gun control causes rage to some people when disagreed about.

Have you seen this article? “https://www.britannica.com/story/gun-control-in-the-us” I thought you might be interested in this because of it’s information.
    Thanks for your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed your essay and being able to share my input.