In the article, “Thanksgiving Turkeys and Traditions”, (McGraw Hill) I learned that Benjamin Franklin had proposed the turkey as the United States’ national bird instead of the bald eagle. Franklin thought the bald eagle had “bad moral character,” and so the turkey is a much more respectable bird and a true original native of America. In recent years, the president relieves a turkey from a farmer who raises turkeys and the president sets it free instead of eating it. President Bush was the first to start this tradition. There were other presidents who would also pardon or spare a turkey. 

Did you ever know how Thanksgiving became what it is today?
0
Please leave a feedback on thisx

I think that pardons should be better than killing turkeys because they are animals and they should not be eaten just because of Thanksgiving. This also creates a sense of non-butchering because now Turkeys won’t be killed just to eat it. In another context, Thanksgiving has a lot of history behind it and it is important to understand how it came to be. 

December 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Dear Ruendi,
I am surprised by your post “Thanksgiving and its tradition/Background” because I didn’t know that pardoning a turkey was an actual tradition. I thought it was very interesting here that some people don’t eat them but pardon them instead.

One sentence that stood out to me was, “Thanksgiving has a lot of history behind it and it is important to understand how it came to be.” because I understand there’s a dark part of thanksgiving that has gotten overlooked as years have gone by and I agree that its important to actually understand the origins of this tradition.

Thank you for writing this post.

December 10, 2021 5:51 pm

I think a lot of people don’t know the real history of thanksgiving or the context around it. Overall pardoning a turkey is a fun tradition but also people should use the holiday to spread awareness instead, or just ideally be thankful for the things in their lives instead of glorifying a past they don’t know about.

December 10, 2021 5:51 pm

It is interesting to hear this perspective on the history of Thanksgiving. It is also interesting to hear that Bush started this tradition. Your article was short and concise and easy to understand, good job!

December 10, 2021 5:49 pm

I think that this is an interesting idea, I’ve heard of this before but I didn’t know that Bush was the first to start this tradition and I think that that part of your article was interesting. I think your summary was very well put into words and I think that I learned a lot and took a lot away from your article.

December 9, 2021 4:38 am

Dear Ruendi,

I am impressed by your post, ” Thanksgiving and its Tradition / Background”, because I didn’t know that President Bush was the first to start the tradition of sparing the turkeys live.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ”  I learned that Benjamin Franklin had proposed the turkey as the United States’ national bird instead of the bald eagle”. I think this is crazy how he wanted a turkey instead of the bald eagle to be the national bird.

Thanks for your writing.

Last edited 9 months ago by Fernando A

5
0
()