In the text, I Felt Like I Was Suffocating (Upfront) I learned the effects the COVID-19 Pandemic had on teenagers. Many went through anxiety and depression and had their lives altered. By not being able to see friends or being able to go out as much, teenagers were not able to distract themselves from real-world problems. By not being able to meet with friends, many teens had no way of coping with their feelings and expressing them. With this, many went through eating disorders, isolation, and experienced depression. Many teens who had future plans/activities to look forward to lost this when the pandemic closed everything down causing. “The activities that young people previously relied on for stability and joy have been disrupted. . . Students spend vast portions of their weeks staring at Zoom screens. Without school events and traditions to anticipate, many say they are struggling to get out of bed in the morning”

I believe this was true for many since their social interactions were limited if not all taken away by restricting the meeting of people. Teenagers went through the usual school stress, the pandemic itself, family problems, isolation, and the lack of social interactions all at once. This caused many to lose their mental stability. In the text, Adolfo (one of the teenagers who spoke about their experience) described how his life turned to be nocturnal. “‘I’d sleep all day because my sister was up crying, and there was barely any food,’ says Adolfo, 15, a classmate of Aya’s whose father was hospitalized with Covid-19 and was unable to work for four months. “Usually my friends would’ve helped me, but I didn’t have them, so it was harder to deal with. I felt like I was suffocating.”

How did the pandemic impact you as an individual? Do you think this has shaped you positively or negatively?

Viridiana

Dear Andrea, I can agree and connect to this post, because I was in the same position during the COVID-19 pandemic. It affected me in many ways, I am the kind of person that needs to have days where I can go out and forget about my family problems at home, and the feeling of depression just staying in my room all day, got worse after we had to do school on Zoom call from home. I feel like I didn’t really do anything all day. And i struggled to learn through a screen.

1
0
()