A growing number of people who’ve wound up in emergency rooms with lung injuries have tied to vaping. Nearly 1,500 people had suffered from severe vaping-related illnesses and 33 had died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, only in October. “Spurred by the illnesses and by the explosive growth of vaping among teens, many states are cracking down on flavored e-cigarette sales, and the Trump administration has said that it would draft a ban on them too.”

Teens are using this drug because it is an addiction that they don’t know how to get rid of, or even consider it a problem. These electronic cigarettes were intended to be a healthier way to stop smoking, yet it has come up to be a serious problem. These vaping pens have been discovered to cause lung cancers due to the number of chemicals used to make them. Doctors have had patients come in with the symptoms of people who were in a chemical spill, and it was caused by vape pens. Many states are issuing a ban on selling these flavored pens due to the number of issues that have been caused by them, including serious injuries or death.

1. Gus 1 month ago

I love the irony of the point that you made that E-cigarettes were invented to lean people off of smoking, but instead, have become an addiction in themselves. These pens introduce metal into your body that was never before present in cigarettes. One could make the argument that one is as bad as the other.

2. […] Due to vaping, the arising health concerns are all lung related illnesses. One example is lung cancer. The main reason this is highly common with e-cigarette use is due to the chemicals within any nicotine pod. According to Doctors, they “… have had patients come in with the symptoms of people who were in a chemical spill, and i… […]

3. Aditi 1 month ago

Kayla,

I agree that this is a serious problem for teens. Drug addiction is extremely detrimental to one’s physical and mental health. And, as you said, could even cause the death of the individuals who choose to take part in these things. In terms of the statistic, you gave at the beginning of your writing, does that apply to all of America, a certain state, or a region? Regardless of the answer, it is extremely saddening to see those numbers so high. Especially because it is only looking at a one-month time span.

Aditi Mishra

4. Natalia 1 month ago

Kayla,
    I’m so glad you are writing about this. I recently participated in a meeting with people who are strategizing on how to reduce youth vaping in Orange Cove. The work is being led by Regional Advocates Countering Tobacco (ReACT) with funding from the California Department of Public Health, Tobacco Control Program. People can contact me if they want to get involved.

Ms. N.