TAKE POSITIONS ON
EVERYDAY ARGUMENTS

Will you: Make a list of your daily, routine activities. Find entries on your list that hold controversies or represent differing beliefs. Choose one entry and write about your stance on that issue, explaining what your position is and why.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

You will have:

1. A list of your daily schedule.
  2. Stars (*) beside entries you feel hold controversies or conflicts.
  3. Your writing on the entry you chose.
Submit your work for this XP

SCHEDULE OF MY DAY

Usually when people think of argument, they think of angry people shaking their fists at one another. But “argument” also describes the reasons you support a particular opinion or position on an issue. Arguments are important because, in order to be more critical thinkers, we must have good reasons to believe what we believe. If we don’t have good reasons, our opinions fall apart under critical examination.
Argument is everywhere, even in your daily routines. This activity will help you explore where they’re located.

Try this:

• (3 min) Make a list of your daily, routine activities. What time do you generally wake up? Start there. Feel free to omit details as you feel appropriate, but try to write out your schedule toward the noon hour. See how many entries you can list out in 3 minutes. You might be surprised to find out how much you cram into your day in a short amount of time.
  • (3 min) Controversies exist in our daily lives. Where are controversies or issues hiding in the schedule you’ve listed out so far? For instance, when you brush your teeth, do you use fluoride or whitening toothpaste? Do you use conditioner or no conditioner? Do you eat breakfast? Take a few minutes to re-read your list, then place a star (*) beside any schedule entries on your list that hold controversies or represent differing beliefs. How many can you find in your routines?
  • (5 min) Choose one of your starred (*) entries and write about your stance on that issue. What’s your position on this issue? Why?

RESOURCES

Finding Arguments in the Schedule of a Day

Ohio Writing Project – Beth Rimer

Meghan's schedule of a day

Ohio Writing Project – Beth Rimer

Routine Argument Writing

College-Ready Writers Program – National Writing Project

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

Describe the evidence a learner must submit to complete this XP. Click edit button to change this text. Start with the words

You will have:

Submit your work for this XP

DIGITAL XP TITLE

A Digital XP is an online activity that invites the learner to participate and explains how to proceed. Describe yours here! Click edit button to change this text. Add an image in the container to the left.

RESOURCES

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

You will have:

Submit your work for this XP

DIGITAL XP TITLE

RESOURCES

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

Short Title

Add a link below.

OPPORTUNITY

Describe the opportunity that will be unlocked for learners who earn this Badge.

Apply for this badge

BADGE TITLE

Write a concise title that describes the main learning objective for this badge.

The title of the playlist and the title of the badge should be the same.

Replace the template image to the left with a badge that has a title and an interest category.  Download the Badge image template here.

Delete this Message Box after writing the title and replacing the Badge image.

CRITERIA, COMPETENCIES AND STANDARDS

Define the criteria (learning goals) that must be met to earn this Badge. Click edit button to change this text. Start with the words

You will have:

WORKFORCE COMPETENCY

Choose one of the following:

• Professional Attitude
  • Team Work Ethic
  • Problem Solving
  • Time Management
  • Verbal Communication

COMPETENCIES AND STANDARDS

Select from

Web Literacy by Mozilla: A framework for entry-level web literacy & 21st Century skills. Explore the map by selecting what you want to learn more about, to see definitions and activities.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Take Positions on Everyday Arguments by Casey is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.