In this article the author talks about the decision that Switzerland made to decriminalize drugs and how it has had many positive effects. They thought that drugs were too big of a problem to completely get rid of so instead they tried to handle it safely while trying to treat people and get them clean. They distribute safe clean needles and drugs which alone reduced the rate of HIV and blood related diseases and overdoses from drugs laced with things such as fentanyl. They made it very easy to come to treatment centers to get help and over 75% of the reported addicts are currently in treatment. They have seen a massive drop in crime because the government is distributing the clean safe drugs so the street crime related to drugs is essentially gone. Overall they have seen over a 64% decrease in opioid overdoses and have seen a huge decrease in the percentage of people who are addicted as they are using the government programs to get clean.

0
()