Youth Voices
Youth Voices
Sweet Tooth
/
By Russell Edson, Read by Hai Cheng Li

A little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice was eaten by someone with a sweet tooth the size of an elephant’s tusk.
         Ah, he said, this darn tooth, it’s driving me nuts.

Then another voice is heard. It’s the little girl’s father who says, have you seen a little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice?–Incidentally, what’s that thing sticking out of your mouth like an elephant’s tusk?
         My sweet tooth, and it’s really driving me nuts.
         You ought to see a dentist.
         But he might want to pull it, and I don’t like people pulling at me. If they want to pull they should pull at their own pullables.
         So true, said the little girl’s father, people should pull at their own pullables and let other people’s pullables alone. But still, he asked again, I wonder if you’ve seen a little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice?

I chose this poem.  Or, rather, it chose me.  When I saw the title, I instantly clicked on the poem.   My first impression of this poem was that its theme is about not eating candy.  The poem excited me, yet, at the same time, made me confused.  A line that particularly makes me feel excited is, “Then another voice is heard. It’s the little girl’s father who says, have you seen a little girl made of sugar and spice and everything nice?”.  Confusion arises for me when I read the lines, “But he might want to pull it, and I don’t like people pulling at me. If they want to pull they should pull at their own pullables.”.  This could be because of the sweet tooth getting pulled out.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()

Connect with