ax and knife with sheath

Recently, I read Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen.  I enjoyed this book because I love books that are in the survival fiction genre. Another reason why I liked this book is because of the problems the main character has to go through.

The protagonist is Brain Robeson. His story is set in the 1980s, specifically in  a forest. The significance of the forest setting is that Brain has to figure out how to deal with certain problems with only a hatchet. The significance of the setting shifting from the airport to a forest is to show Brain’s true nature.

Brain faces certain forces and pressures. One of the problems that Brain has to deal with is his food situation. Brain meets these forces and pressures by deciding to pick berries from bushes. You can see this early in the book on page 24.

The tension rises when Brain loses most of  his food to a skunk. This might leave a reader feeling worried. The reader might feel worried because Brain might die due to the lack of food.

The book climaxes when Brain stores some tiny live fish in a pond. “To his right, at the base of the rock bluff, there were piles of smaller rocks that had fallen from the main chunk, splinters and hunks, from double-fist size to some as large as his head. He spent the afternoon carrying rocks to the beach and making what amounted to a large pen for holding live fish—two rock “arms” that stuck out fifteen feet into the lake and curved together at the end. Where the arms came together he left an opening about two feet across, then he sat on the shore and waited.”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. Brain soon after gets rescued by a helicopter. It’s a person v nature type of conflict that’s driving this story.

1. Ian 2 months ago

Dear Hai-Cheng:

I am interested with your post, “Survival!,” because the protagonist seems very interesting.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “The significance of the setting shifting from the airport to a forest is to show Brain’s true nature.” I think this is interesting because I want to know what Brain’s true nature.

Another sentence that I liked was “The tension rises when Brain loses most of his food to a skunk. This might leave a reader feeling worried. The reader might feel worried because Brain might die due to the lack of food.” I think this is interesting because I want to see how he deals with problems like this one.

Have you read the book Brian’s Winter. I think you might be interested because it is written by the same author and it it the same genre.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this book response was very interesting and i want to see what you write next.