Recovering degraded pasturelands and Integrated Crop-Livestock-Forestry Systems could boost meat production while scaling restoration and regeneration of native forests (photo by Ronaldo Rosa, Embrapa)

In the article, “How Can Brazil Protect the Amazon and Advance Climate Action,” authors Carolina Genin et al. advocate for urgent action against deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, specifically in the Brazil government.  Like other articles, they first define why the Amazon rainforest is important for Brazil – it is a huge center of biodiversity, it has worldwide impacts on agriculture and climate, and if environmental changes do occur, they could have huge socio-economic impacts as well.  And so, the rest of the article breaks down how Brazil can tackle each one of these issues (and they mainly do it from a ‘larger picture’ lens).  They state that the president and administration of Brazil need to crack down harder on illegal deforestation and maintain strict anti-deforestation laws, or they imply that the Brazilian government needs to be replaced by those who will make this agenda a priority.  This, hopefully, will stop deforestation directly while making the country carbon neutral and bringing green industry advocates to Brazil for business.  The authors also want to target the agriculture industry.  Agriculture is one of Brazil’s main industries and the reason for removing the rainforest, so the authors propose restoring already used pastures which would stop/slow deforestation, and even lead to an increase in agriculture production and income.

Source: https://www.wri.org/insights/strategies-amazon-rainforest-climate-action-brazil

NowComment: https://nowcomment.com/documents/310166

Joshua
September 12, 2022 5:45 am

Dear Alex:
I am happy about your post, “How Can Brazil Protect the Amazon & Advance Climate Action,” because I believe any forest and wildlife should be protected and reserved. Nothing deserves to be destroyed or taken away if it means it’s helpful in indigenous life. Especially locals in South America, they don’t deserve their forest to be taken away.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “it is a huge center of biodiversity, it has worldwide impacts on agriculture and climate, and if environmental changes do occur, they could have huge socio-economic impacts as well.” This is outstanding because companies don’t truly see the harm they cause. It needs to be brought to their attention to how bad this is for the environment. Companies only see a profit for everything, not caring about what’s around.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because damaging beautiful forests is something that needs to be prevented at all costs. We also need to get into companies’ minds and change their perspective on the environment.
Joshua Gonzalez

1
0
()