Smoke billows from a patch of forest in the Amazon

In BBC’s news article, “Brazil: Amazon sees worst deforestation levels in 15 years”, BBC gives a current update about the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest, specifically in Brazil.  They mention a couple of statistics and a graph about the increasing rate of deforestation (up 22% between 2020 and 2021), and some reasons why the rainforest is important (huge ecosystem and major source of carbon capture).  Then, the article spends a great deal of time considering who is taking responsibility for this rise in deforestation.  The article mentions that Brazil pledged to stop deforestation but also encouraged development on rainforest terrain.  And many international businesses are implicated in the development/deforestation, so it is hard to determine who is ultimately responsible.

“Brazil: Amazon Sees Worst Deforestation Levels in 15 Years.” BBC News, BBC, 19 Nov. 2021, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-59341770.

0
()