From my perspective, Dee’s family are people who make fun of other people’s name. I love Dee, I want to be with her, I want her to be my mother of my kids. I remember one day when I went to visit her family for a diner. The house was too small, the windows were open and the wind was floating all over their tiny living room. The house was a little dark like a church surrounded by candles.

I was wondering if I was lost or not, because the way Dee described me her house was the opposite as it looks. I turned my back to leave when suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and saw the women who gives me a reason to live. She was wearing a short red dress, her skin was like a brand new house that just got paint. She was standing right in front of me and I can register my feelings toward her. My eyes were fixing on her body like I was watching an angel coming down from the sky. She invited me inside where I was about to meet my family in law. I felt an impression that the family does not like me at all. I said “ Asalamalakim” to her sister and mother, but they did not respond me. The sister was so weird, and their mother was one of those women that does not know how to treat people equally. Time passed by, and we were all in an awkward silence until Dee spoke up by announcing our engagement. I felt guilty because I did not ask the family first.

The next day, Dee’s mother invited me to meet, so we can talk about the weeding process. She did not even remember my name. She was calling me Asalamalakim. I asked myself, “Is she making fun of me? Or is she selfish to not care about other people’s feelings? Was it necessary to make fun of people greetings?”

I did not know how I would deal with that lady once I married her daughter. As an educated person, I did not want to disrespect her. I keep my calm, enjoying the fancy lunch we were having. After all I was paying. All the conversation was about Dee and how her mother was giving me conditions in order to marry her daughter. All she wanted was my money, and how I am going to take care of her daughter. At one moment I realized that this family do not know the meaning of respect. First they were making fun of my name and now they want me to give them all I have.

Despite all that, I did not stop loving Dee, but I also can’t believe that they were just playing with me and my feelings. So I wanted them to know is that money cannot buy happiness, and if they want me back, they have to gain my respect. “Sorry Dee but love and respect can only go together. A relationship can not be based on lies.” So make your way and I will make mine. Goodbye Dee! I wish you luck with your new life.

image http://pixabay.com/en/users/BeyondTimelines

This was a task that my professor gave me.It is about a short story that I have to write about one of the character’s point of view. So I choose Hakim one of the character, and write how he sees Dee and her Family.

January 28, 2020 8:50 pm

Dear Oumi,

I am astonished in the way that you narrate the story from the side of Maggie and Dee’s Mother. It shows the
that the mother could not value Dee the same way since she let trust in neither of them. Dee’s Mother slightly shows deception of her daughter Dee in having left her because Dee wanted to have a different type of life than what her Mother and her sister have.

One of the set of lines that stand out the most for me was when the Mother says ” Despite all, I did not stop loving Dee, but I can’t believe that they were just playing with me and my feeling, so I wanted them to know that money cannot buy happiness and if they want me back, they will have to earn my respect” . This makes me think of the perseverance of the mother in being strong with her daughter. She wants to demonstrate to the daughter the lack of disrespect that she showed to the daughter without even having informed to the mother the decisions that she was going to do with her in life.

Your story reminds me of my father, yet it sort of contrasts the story in someways. It is because every time my father suffers eagerness with any of our actions at home, he constantly keeps telling the Day that either you or I get to leave from this house, you will miss me because things would not be the same between you and me . I can also die and you would never get to see me again just because of your disobedience.

I like your poem because It reminds me of the most important thing that I have in this life, which is my family. Thank you. I look forward to read more of your stories.

Best regards,
Idelkys Checo

December 11, 2019 3:24 am

Precious Oumy
I am very impresionante with your story “Success isn’t Important but Attitudes is” because you really told what some families have and no one has the courage to tell them how they are supposed to treat outsiders. I think people should really say what’s bothering them in an environment, they choose whether they stay there or not. What did Hakim did I agree with him because he decided to choose his dignity not what just to pretend and get what he wants. “Sorry Dee but love and respect can only go together. A relationship can not be based on lies. This is the sentence that showed me Hakim is respectful person, it does not matter to him if he is losing what is most precious to him. “So make your way and I will make mine. Goodbye Dee! I wish you luck with your new life”. This is another paragraph that made me realize that some families may be hating a person just because of his or her antigenicity, religion or background. The most hypocritical part is after all this hatred they want something from that person again. “I did not know how I would deal with that lady once I married her daughter. As an educated person, I did not want to disrespect her. I keep my calm, enjoying the fancy lunch we were having. After all I was paying. All the conversation was about Dee and how her mother was giving me conditions in order to marry her daughter. All she wanted was my money, and how I am going to take care of her daughter. At one moment I realized that this family do not know the meaning of respect. First they were making fun of my name and now they want me to give them all I have”. Reading your story makes me understand, life is not just having money to whatever you wish in the world. Life is a process that everyone has to go through. Sometimes success is important because it can help people grow and and know what they are supposed to do in their lives. On the other hand so is attitudes because it helps people to focus their reality so everyone will respect them and admire them in a fair way. I am so pleased that I have learned a lot from your perspectives. I am looking forward to reading your stories and be able to write and speak about them. I appreciate you writing on Hakim’ s point of view.

2
0
()