Substance abuse has proven to be a large problem in America and especially within the Native American Indian Population. Starting as young as 8th grade, many Native teens report exposure to substances such as Alcohol, Opium, Marijuana, and other drugs. I was inspired to research this topic after reading several works from Sherman Alexie and There There by Tommy Orange.

Alcohol addiction is one of the most important themes throughout the stories. Substance abuse is detrimental to Indian communities and leads to an unbreakable cycle of addiction throughout generations. Www.continuumrecoverycenter.com asks the question, “Where does a young person find support when their peers and role models are using drugs and alcohol?”. These addictions lead to a series of other effects all contributing back to substance abuse. 

This issue is not hard to find, and there are organizations working to help make a difference, “The objective of the Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program (ASAP) is to reduce the incidence and prevalence of alcohol and substance abuse among American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) to a level at or below the general U.S. population”(Source 1). So far the problems facing Native Americans with substance use are still very high. It’s very important to understand why we see a higher rate of substance use in native American populations.

According to source 2, “~5x as many Native American teens use Cocaine and ~2x more smoke than the rest of America.” We see this disproportionately for many reasons. Source 3 goes in-depth about these reasons. “30% of Indian households are under the poverty line and many more barely scrape by, this creates high levels of stress and mental health issues. Source 3 points out that “many Native Communities lack doctors and as a result, there is a high amount of self-medication.”

These are just a few of many ways that the cycle of abuse is started. I think that it is very important that all Americans become educated on the history of Indigenous peoples to be able to understand the current state of modern Native peoples. 

Source 1: “Indian Health Service (IHS).” Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program, www.ihs.gov/asap/

Source 2: “Substance Use in American Indian Youth Is Worse than We Thought.” Nora’s Blog, NIDA, 11 Sept. 2014, archives.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/noras-blog/2014/09/substance-use-in-american-indian-youth-worse-than-we-thought

Source 3: Continuumrec, and Continuumrec. “5 Reasons Native Americans Have Higher Rates of Addiction.” Continuum Recovery, 3 Apr. 2020, www.continuumrecoverycenter.com/blog/5-reasons-native-americans-higher-rates-addiction/.

1. Litzy 5 days ago

Dear Toby,
    I was very intrigued by your post, “Substance Abuse,” because it is impressive how much you know and care about this issue and understand the situations and reasons why Native Americans choose drugs and other substances over their well being. Substance abuse is a real problem that I knew about already, but did not realize how bad it was for this ethnic group. The reasons you stated in your post were stress and environment which seem to be the main reason for people to fall into substance abuse. However, since about 30% of Indian households live under the poverty line this might be an issue that can lead them to drug abuse due to the lack of income. This was a very interesting and great post thanks for writing and I’m looking forward to seeing what you write about next.
    -Litzy

2. Caden 2 weeks ago

Substance Abuse is a serious problem, we all know that. However, I had no idea how it affected certain groups more than others, especially Native Americans. This was very eye-opening and the stats that the author used were very effective. I don’t think that many people are aware of this issue and it definitely is something that needs attention. Great Job!

3. Dylan 2 weeks ago

i agree that the crisis over substance abuse has become very huge in recent years. The stats that show Native Americans are more adversely affected highlights how urgent we need to deal with this issue. I believe organizations as well as the government itself need to do a lot more to break this self-destructing cycle of addiction and to make sure Natives won’t fall into the same trap.

4. Amulya 3 weeks ago

Substance abuse is a problem for many people around the world. I was really surprised to find out that the Native American population is one of the groups that is greatly affected by it. Some reasons that you said were stress and environment. I have read that genetics could be a possible factor that contributes to substance abuse like alcoholism. Do you think that could be a possibility regarding this situation?

5. Jacob 1 month ago

Those stats are crazy