It was about 4 years ago when my family thought i should visit back home & learn about my culture more. I was frightened. A go and back ticket really just meant go, you’re never coming back. If you’re foreign, I’m pretty sure you know what I mean.

Before I left to go back to Somalia, my mom would talk a lot about marriage and how i’ve matured over the years. Mind you i’m only 13 years old. Teenagers in my culture were highly viewed as women once they hit puberty. I still didn’t understand. I remembered how my mom got married at the age of 15 so i was thinking maybe that’s what she wanted for me. I didn’t know how to react. Was i really ready? Do i even know how to cook? Am i capable of having children? Unanswered questions ran through my mind as i was traveling.

Eventually i got there & i met my father for the first time. Him and my mom split up a year after i was born so he never came to the US with us.

Anyways fast forwarding to the day my dad gave me a huge lecture. He was talking to me about how in our culture it’s very respectful that the father find a man for his daughter & that she get married young. He said no man wants an old crusty young woman. I totally disagreed. I believe when the time is right the woman should marry whomever she desired. My father of course was old fashion so we had different views.

Come days later and he brings a 25 year old my way. Before he knew it, i was already out of the city and i ran away.

Is this fiction or realistic?

0
()