In the article, “A New Kind of Starbucks,” (Upfront January 28, 2019) I learned that in Washington D.C. there was a sign language-only Starbucks recently opened for those who are deaf or hard of hearing. At this store, all employees are fluent in American Sign Language. There is no music in this location and the store was remodeled to fit the needs of those who are limited to visibility. This includes high tables or tall stacks of cups. University students have preached that Starbucks has taken an innovative approach that will result in more accessibility for the deaf and hard of hearing. 

I think that this is amazing for Starbucks to take not only the deaf and hard of hearing people into consideration but let along made a location just specifically for them. I agree that this was an innovative approach from Starbucks and I think that it is great that it provides opportunities for those who are deaf and or hard of hearing. I respect that Starbucks is taking action to include everyone and make it easier for them by creating places like these. In my opinion, I feel like Starbucks creates a safe space for the deaf and hard of hearing because even the employees understand each other creating a very alleviating environment.

Do you think other places will create deaf and hard-of-hearing locations?

0
()