Standardized tests are used by most schools. They are thought to demonstrate a students level of understanding and what they were able to learn through their classes. However, there is a lot of controversy about standardized tests nowadays. According to “The problem with standardized test” (By Meagan Gillmore), standardized tests are a poor way to test a student’s knowledge. Many teachers see standardized tests as a way to test a student performance rather than their knowledge. Standardized tests are based off what a student can remember, and when put into a stressful situation such as a standardized test many students perform poorly and forget little pieces of information. 

However, not everyone sees standardized tests as a bad thing. Bryan Nixon argues in “The pros and cons of standardized testing” the pros of standardized testing. Standardized tests are not purely to test a student’s knowledge. Many schools use their standardized tests to test the schools curriculum and its effectiveness. Scores from different schools can be compared to see which school does what right. In the end standardized tests can improve students’ learning experience by improving on their curriculum.

Standardized testing will always be a hot and controversial topic. The tests have their pros and cons, as seen above. In the end standardized tests do hold their place within school, but not in the area of determining kids understanding.

December 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Drew, I really like what you wrote as I believe it is informative to both students and teachers. Like most students, I myself am not a fan of standardized testing because of the stress and anxiety it can cause students. I think you did a great job arguing both sides, and I do agree with the quote you used from Bryan Nixon about how it tests the curriculum of the school, rather than the student. You wrote this piece very informatively yet concisely, getting your point across in short order. Great job!

1
0
()