The effects of a brain injury can be life long, as expressed by SpinalCord.com. Depending of the severity of the injury, the individual can cause impairment for the rest of your natural life. Each injury is unique, so not all have the same treatment. These impairments include memory loss, mood swings, and impaired language skills. Is playing these contact sports worth the possible consequences that come with them, especially if you’re not going to be playing them your whole life?

The Concussion Legacy Foundation informs of the degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma called CTE. Basically, brain cells being killed is the problem of the traumatic event. The symptoms have been seen in people as young as 17,  but the symptoms usually don’t appear years after the incident. Usually appear in patient’s late 20s or 30s.

I have done research and experienced both sides of this argument. The love for the sport is something that is difficult to take away from a dedicated athlete. However, they might be pursuing a career that would be affected if something serious were to happen to their head. So, where does one draw the line? There should be a boundary to which an athlete pushes him or herself, but that is to what they decide is a healthy medium.

Mack
September 26, 2018 3:15 pm

I like the argument a lot and this is big in a lot of kids lives today. This post was well written, but I would maybe mention the sport that causes these injuries such as Football, Lacrosse, and etc.

1
0
()