The severity of homelessness in the United States is more intense than many people probably realize. 700,000 people every day in the US experience the dangers and burdens of not having a home, often on top of suffering from addiction, disabilities, or injury.

The specific problem being addressed in this article is the issue of chronic homelessness in the United States, and how it poses a threat to both the homeless community and to society. Not only are those living on the streets in dangerous situations, they also place stress on society, as in Los Angeles alone, “providing people with supportive housing is 40% cheaper than leaving people on the streets.”

The solution to this issue focuses on the members of the homeless community who face the risk of dying. An organization called Common Ground started the 100,000 Homes Campaign in efforts to protect those at risk in sustainable homes.

Possible objections could include consideration of the cost of building 100,000 homes, as well as the likelihood of these homes being sustained by people who may not have the resources or ability to do so.

Overall, I see this solution as ambitious, effective, and completely feasible with the right kind of support and action. The article explains that chaning the way that the issue of homelessness is simply seen is a step in the right direction towards action and reform.

https://nowcomment.com/documents/253909

February 9, 2021 7:41 pm

This was an interesting post. Homelessness clearly affects our nation, and the homeless population in downtown Salt Lake is fairly large. Is the organization, Common Ground applicable across the U.S.? If not, are there other organization attempting to relieve homelessness in the U.S? Check out this article: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2020/05/11/utah-was-once-lauded/

1
0
()