So far, the character in Keeper by Mal Peet reminds me of something I saw. I don’t play soccer, but I know a lot of people  who do, and a lot of people who love soccer and don’t play it.  When I watch soccer, it seems boring and simple, but I notice that people who know about soccer, know that it is difficult and takes a lot of skill.  They practice, talk about it, and get excited about it.  In this book, El Gato, goes from being a terrible soccer player, to being one of the best.  He talks about how his coach taught him to study the person who has the ball to know where he is going to kick it.  This reminded me of all the thought and skill that soccer lovers around me have.

Emmanuela
November 28, 2018 5:37 am

I personally don’t have any experience with sports but I understand that in order to play it takes so much time and skill to develop. I know several people who play soccer and are constantly practicing in order to perfect their craft. This is something we can all relate to, similar to school because we are constantly reading and studying to be the best we can be. Here are some articles which explain how doing a sport can actually help you positively in life. https://www.muhealth.org/conditions-treatments/pediatrics/adolescent-medicine/benefits-of-sports

Sofia
October 14, 2018 3:32 am

Estimada Natalia:
Estoy asombrada por tu post sobre ” Mal Peet ” por que a pesar de que no le gusta el futbol parece comprender un poco sobre el.
La parte que me gusto de tu post fue donde dices que”El gato pasa de ser un terrible jugador , a uno de los mejores jugadores” por que yo creo que si nosotros tenemos algo que deseamos lo podemos lograr con mucho esfuerzo ya sea en lo deportivo , en la educacion o en algo para nuestro futuro.Vo en que algo tenemos en similar por que a mi me gusta jugar futbol , pero no me gusta hablar sobre el o mirarlo en tv por que me parece a burrido .
Gracias por tu escritura.Espero ver lo que escribas a continuacion , por que quiero saber mas sobre lo que opinas sobre las lecturas que haces y por que me gusta como lo compara con su vida o con lo que pasa sobre su alrededor.

James

Natalia,

This sounds like a gripping book and I like how you stated your point about being able to appreciate the challenge and skill in the sport without personal experience. Being able to appreciate the passions of others without having the experiences of them, is a valuable life skill and is a respectable trait. I’m glad you enjoyed the book and hopefully now have a better grasp on why to some, soccer is life!

Clara

Natalia, the book you are reading sounds compelling! I enjoyed how even though you don’t personally play soccer, you found a way to relate the book to your observations. Soccer does seem boring from the outside but even in my brief experiences I realize just how challenging it is. I am excited to hear about the rest of your book and maybe the text will incorporate some more things you can relate to, even if it isn’t directly about soccer.

Abigail

Natalia, I have never had any interest in soccer, so I do not appreciate it fully. The amount of skill, hard work, and effort it takes to play on a competitive team is extraordinary. It is a sport that attracts people of all ages. But I have to agree it is not for everyone.

Lindsey

Great job applying what you read to your life and people around you. It is interesting that you don’t play soccer yourself, but notice how it positively impacts others. Is there something like this in your life (art, another sport, music, etc.) that gives you joy and challenges you in a positive way? It would interesting to hear about that! Overall great work!

Anna

Natalia, I strongly encourage you to play soccer! I played for 8 years and it was a blast! Though it may not come easily at first, practicing will pay off. I related to when you discussed your amazement with soccer players skills. So many players are so incredibly talented and I love to see the cool tricks they can do. If you are considering playing soccer here is a link to some rules of soccer http://www.rulesofsport.com/sports/football.html . Thanks for your input! -Anna

Branigan

This is a very interesting piece of writing Natalia. I don’t personally play or watch soccer, but I can definitely see the appeal. I like how you connect this story to the bigger idea of perseverance. I hope to read more of your writing.

Abby

I don’t play soccer either, but every time I watch soccer I am amazed by the amount of skill it takes to merely participate in the game. I liked how you mentioned the simplicity of soccer but also capitalized on how complex it is. Here is an article about the physical benefits of soccer. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100406093524.htm

Matt

I don’t play or watch soccer, but I can imagine it being hard. I think that every sport has its own difficulties. Here is an article that makes a case for every sport being difficult: https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/high-school-sports/2013/09/23/whats-the-hardest-high-school-sport-its-complicated/28936167/

10
0
()