silhouette of network tower at golden hour

In my last post, I discussed whether or not the new 5G cellular network is worth the upgrade. In the end, I reached the position that it depends on a person’s location and their cell phone carrier. But that left me with the question: what is the best cell phone carrier?

The short answer to this question is, it depends. Each of the big 4 carriers- Verizon, T-Mobile (now combined with Sprint), and AT&T- offer different plans that appeal to all their customers. One customer may be looking for the cheapest unlimited data plan for multiple lines. Another may only be looking for an option that provides the maximum range of service near rural areas. To compensate for the different needs, experts found a neutral point that the average user looks for: a well-balanced plan with fast service, extensive coverage, practical data, and a reasonable price. Taking this into consideration, New York Times guide, Rob Pegoraro, concluded that, for the average person, “Verizon Wireless’s 5 GB plan is the best cell phone plan” (Pegoraro). Under this service, the customer will receive 5 gigabytes of data per month and one of the best high-speed coverages in the United States for just $55 a line. The average user under this plan will not have to worry about losing their signal nor going over their data limit as Verizon is known for its fast speeds and high connectivity.

But of course, some people are not primarily concerned with finding a cheap plan for just themselves, but for their families as well. Adding many lines to Verizon’s 5 GB plan does not provide much room for more than two people, and Verizon’s multi-line plans are typically quite pricy. In large-family situations such as this, writer Philip Michaels suggests taking a look at T-Mobile’s Magenta plan. After thorough research, Michael’s has found that the plan starts at $70 for one line, $50 for a second, and $20 for the rest. Additionally, the company also offers “frequent discounts on multiple lines” (Michaels)- perfect for families.

Overall, one person may desire unlimited data while another may be searching for the cheapest option. To help narrow down the decision, the website Allconnect created a practical guide for choosing a carrier, “T-Mobile- Best coverage, AT&T- Best phone deals, and Verizon- Fastest 5G speeds” (Supan). In the end, the quality of the service ultimately comes down to the judgment of the customer. What may work for one person may not be compatible with another- it’s all about preference.

Joe Supan, Joe. The Best Phone Carriers of 2021: 5G Coverage, Comparison & FAQs. 6 Jan. 2021, www.allconnect.com/cellphones/carriers. 

Michaels, Philip. Best Family Cell Phone Plan in 2021. 5 Jan. 2021, www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-family-cell-phone-plan. 

Pegoraro, Rob. The Best Cell Phone Plans. 9 Oct. 2020, www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wireless-carrier/. 

0
()