two girls in shirts posing for photo

Sibling comparison is a large topic among many families. I know that being the youngest, I get treated differently than my sister. This phenomenon is all over social media as well, not just in certain families. I see Tik Toks all the time about being the middle child or the youngest and how their treatment is different. I wondered how this could affect a child’s growth.

I am extremely surprised by the information I found in this article from The Cusp. I thought that me comparing myself to my older sister was a problem only I have. But after reading this, I found some shocking statistics. “When in actual fact, having an older sibling of the same sex is good for healthy competition in life. The older sibling may be statistically more academic and ambitious, but younger children are more creative,” the article states. This is so interesting because my sister is more academically advanced than me and I happen to be the artist of the family.

As for how parents can help the negative consequences of sibling rivalry, I read an article by Dr. Sylvia Rimm. She has all sorts of articles about how you can make all of your children feel special. Some friendly competition can be helpful when siblings are growing up, but you still want to make sure everyone feels like they are treated equally. The article states that you want to avoid labels, show that you and your spouse are equal in intelligence, and prioritize school to help your children cheer on their siblings as well as try hard themselves.

0
()