Was the alleviation of Utah’s protocols for COVID 19 for social gatherings during the holiday season an ethical decision? A news report entitled A superspreader event, by Carter Williams mentions that the Thanksgiving gathering can cause “another uptick in COVID-19 cases”. This spike is evident towards family, grandparents, or friends coming over for the holiday and eating within the same vicinity without masks to hinder the exposure range. With record high cases within this month its questionable to comprehend, social gatherings should be tolerated.

Dropping the restrictions for social gathering has an exceptional amount of reasons that are tied towards this adjustment for the holidays. It’s rational to see Governor Herbert’s intentions of lessening the restrictions to a minimal social gathering, however is this what’s best for Utahns? Herbert however informs everyone “We hope people have the opportunity to celebrate Thanksgiving, but we want you to know to have happy Thanksgiving but a safe Thanksgiving”. I recognize where Governor Herbert is coming from, except alleviating this mandate as we approach Thanksgiving just puts more citizens at risk. For this pandemic to be over, it takes sacrifices from everyone in order for everything to be back to what we had prior to the pandemic. A time when we didn’t have to worry about wearing a mask and separating ourselves from others.

These regulations and protocols have definitely been tedious and it’s irritating to not know when the pandemic will end. Yet, we still have to remain resilient during these unprecedented times and follow these guidelines and protocols. This will help prevent hospitals from reaching over their capacity-rate of providing aid to patients with the virus and those with the elective procedures. As always, practice safety precautions to reduce the transmission rate.

0
()