girl in black t-shirt writing on white paper

In the article, “Should Students Have to Pass a Civics Test to Graduate?”(BTW) I read about a new controversial debate on whether students should be required to take a civics test in order to graduate. About 14 states are already applying this to their systems and seven other states are considering the bill. People who agree with this bill say that it should be a requirement for the reason that they believe that students should know the basics of how a democracy works. In this test, they should be able to demonstrate that they mastered civics and how to actively be great citizens. Over the years of others taking the test, it has shown the lack of understanding of how well people know a democracy. Others may say that this shouldn’t be a requirement for the reason that all it takes is memorization in order to answer the questions correctly which requires minimal thinking.

It would be a waste of time for students to be required for the civics test. Instead what should be implemented is for students to have received high-quality civics education. Having this type of education would be helpful by learning more difficult knowledge, developing skills, and building more complex understandings.

Should students have to pass a citizenship test?

0
()