Schools should limit students online speech because of cyberbullying, low self esteem, and privacy being invaded.

The first reason as to why schools should limit online speech is because of cyberbullying. In the study conducted by the cyberbullying Research Center we learn that the graph shows how there was a huge percent of people that have been bullied throughout their lifetime. While analyzing the graph there is a show that more girls have been c-bullied in their lifetime. Looking at graphs that have a huge connection with numbers increasing should give an idea on why online speech should be limited.

Another reason as to why online speech should be limited is because of others that are getting harassed through online are feeling a low self esteem. In the joint press release from the, Association of teachers and Lectures and Teacher Support Network shows us how a survey they did showed how 38.6% had answered that due to the times they were bullied it created a huge affect which has affected their self esteem. As I read the graph and see the different numbers they show a really good reason as to why online speech should be limited. No one should ever feel done especially lower their self esteem.

The last reason as to why online speech should be limited is because of privacy being invaded. Jimmy Margulies shows how a teacher was claiming to the principle as to why was his privacy and dignity was being invaded. This is a perfect example as to why online speech should be limited. No one ever wants there information to be put out there on social media without giving them the permission.

Online speech should be limited due to privacy being invaded, low self esteem, and cyberbullying.

1. Ozzie 2 years ago

Jackie,

Your point of view is very unique and does shed some light on cyberbullying and bullying in general. However It lacks factual evidence as to how schools limiting students online speech would help to counteract this bullying epidemic we have. You do briefly touch on some sources that provide evidence but i think a deeper dive into those would benefit your argument. Also when thinking about your argument dont forget to think about what rights students have. Freedom of speech plays a big role in talking about censorship in schools.

2. Martin 2 years ago

Dear Jackie:
    I disagree with you on your post, “Should Online Speech be Limited” because I disagree with the limitation of speech. You gave a reason that I disagree with and that reason is “online speech should be limited is because of privacy being invaded”. In actual free speech no one’s privacy is invaded. You don’t give enough to persuade me to believe speech should be limited for privacy reasons. Thank you for sharing your opinions and using your voice to speak up on this topic.
    Martin C

3. Jamileth 2 years ago

Dear Jackie:
    I am showing pathos towards your response on students online limited speech because I
    strongly agree with your statement that students should be punished when they are caught cyberbullying others it brings me as a reader anger that others may say otherwise. Your statements are very broad and important due to the fact this is a main issue to our society people should take this into consideration and how it affects our teens and adults now in days. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “In the study conducted by the cyberbullying Research Center we learn that the graph shows how there was a huge percent of people that have been bullied throughout their lifetime” (2). This quote basically is letting us know that there a significant amount of people that have been bullied once in their lifetime. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I truly enjoyed what you had to say about If schools should limit students online speech. Your voice matters and I am excited to see what you may have to say next.
    Jamileth

4. Alyssa 2 years ago

Dear Jackie:
    I am impressed by your post, “Should Online Speech be Limited? ” because I agree with the point you are getting across. For example, cyber bullying lowers people’s self esteem. As well as their privacy being invaded.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “…38.6% had answered that due to the times they were bullied it created a huge affect which has affected their self esteem”. I think this is agreeable because when many people have low self esteem it leads to depression which can also sadly lead to suicide. Also, nobody should ever feel bad about themselves because we are supposed to be confident in ourselves and how we are. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you explain yourself really well. You also have good facts on what you’re saying and you back yourself up well.
    Alyssa

5. Amber 2 years ago

Dear Jackie:
    I differ from your post, “Should Online Speech be Limited,” because speech should not be limited. I feel like there are better reasons why it shouldn’t be limited then the reasons you provided.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is,” The last reason as to why online speech should be limited is because of privacy being invaded.” I think this isn’t a good reason that limit online speech because once you put yourself online your allowing people to see your life. If someone is worried about their privacy, the internet might not be the best thing for them.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to see what you write next because I am pleased to share ideas and one’s opinion. Although we might not agree on certain things it is good to share ideas.

Jackie 2 years ago

thank you for your feed back but we both have a different p.o.v.