In the article “Should Colleges Still Require the SAT/ACT?”(Upfront, Schaeffer, 2017 subscription required) I learned that standardized test scores allow colleges to compare the readiness of any two students on the same scale. that’s where the SAT/ACT comes in since they reflect what you have learned through your years in high school it represents what you have known within the few years that you have attended high school. many people agree that colleges should still require the SAT/ACT test. meanwhile, other people believe that it should not be a thing since it won’t fully determine what a student knows or is able to learn more. On this hand, we have about 38% of voters believe that colleges should still keep a requirement for the tests to continue. On the other hand, there is 62% of voters want the test scores required to come to an end since a number should never determine what a person is capable of learning or achieving.

What do you think people should do to get the test requirements to come to an end?
0
Please leave a feedback on thisx

What is going on in this text is that we have a percentage of people that want to end the SAT/ACT test scores for college to stop and we still have another group of people that want to keep the standard testing scores a requirement for college students. meanwhile, in my beliefs my perspective based on the SAT/ACT test scores I think they should come to an ending because a number doesn’t represent the value of what a person is able to do it shouldn’t be a profile of a college student.

image_printPrint this page.

Author

0 0 votes
Rate This Post
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
5 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
October 20, 2023 3:35 pm

I appreciate your interest in this topic.
I have been thinking about this topic of SAT/ACT scores as I have been applying to colleges this year. I personally think that these tests should not be a deciding factor in an application. My test score does not reflect my grades or my work ethic, and I believe it would end up hindering my chances if I had to submit it. There are many other things that colleges can use to determine your academic capability such as AP scores, gpa, and academic related activities and clubs, and I believe these items show more about who you are, what you can achieve in the future, and how you will succeed at any given institution. Some people have more access to study help than others, and I don’t think it is a fair representation of your IQ. I suggest, if you haven’t already, read “Educated” by Tara Westover. It is a unique take on success from a family without advanced opportunities.

December 6, 2022 5:48 am

Dear Blanca :
I am interested in your post, “Do we need the SAT/ACT,” because as the class of 2023 many colleges/universities didn’t require them. So I wondered how many schools are choosing to pick students to accept.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “should come to an ending because a number doesn’t represent the value of what a person is able to do it shouldn’t be a profile of a college student.” I think this is agreeable because many are considered less then and this has a huge impact on them.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your perspective on common relatable things is important for many of us teens. Also because of the way you talk about how you feel on a topic.
Evelin

Karen
November 18, 2022 10:57 pm

Dear Blanca:

I am impressed by your post, “Do we need the SAT/ACT?” because it is important how SAT/ACT scores can determine your future and your future colleges. I think it can be important how scores over the year can benefit you. 

One sentence that stood out to me was, “Meanwhile, other people believe that it should not be a thing since it won’t fully determine what a student knows or is able to learn more. On this hand, we have about 38% of voters believe that colleges should still keep a requirement for the tests to continue. On the other hand, there is 62% of voters want the test scores required to come to an end since a number should never determine what a person is capable of learning or achieving.” I think this is important because many colleges will still ask for your SAT/ACT scores and expect you to have high scores. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like your article about SAT/ACT scores. I would like you to continue telling about college/high school SAT/ACT scores. 

Karen

Clarissa
November 18, 2022 10:52 pm

Dear Blanca,

I am very interested by your post, “Do we need the SAT/ACT?” because these tests allow the schools to see what a student has learned over the school year. These scores can be important because colleges require students to take this test. 

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was, “On the other hand, there is 62% of voters want the test scores required to come to an end since a number should never determine what a person is capable of learning or achieving”. I was impressed by the total score of how much more don’t want the test than those who think we should take the test. I think I slightly agree with this since these overall scores can’t be relied on fully.

Thanks for your writing, I look forward to seeing what else you will write next because I want to see more votes on what people want and don’t.

Clarissa

November 17, 2022 3:28 pm

I also believe that the SAT/ACT are unnecessary as they do not always accurately reflect students skill levels.
https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/nearly-80-of-colleges-moving-away-from-act-sat-testing-for-admission/
I found this article very informative on this topic.

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the National Writing Project. Opinions expressed by writers are their own.  See more About Youth VoicesTerms of ServicePrivacy Policy.All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

CONTACT US

Email allisonpr@gmail.com Call or Text 917-612-3006

Sending
Missions on Youth Voices
5
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account