eyeglasses on book beside laptop

College is an educational institution for students with inspirations and with a desire to learn for their future. The difference between private and public college, According to the article School advisor, public schools are administered and funded by the local, state or national government whereas private schools are funded completely  or partly by students’ tuition.

Free college is an important issue because a private college can be $60,000 per year, public college can be at least $20,000. Most States do not fund public education since It might also lead to students cutting more classes or not trying because they don’t have to “get their money’s worth” when they aren’t paying for anything.

In my opinion public colleges and universities should offer free tuition since many interested students cannot afford them.

One reason “why college should be free” is that some students who are interested cannot afford to attend. According to the article written by The learning Network, free college is not a new idea: “In some ways, the burst of interest in free public college is a return to the nation’s educational past. As recently as the 1970s, some public university systems remained largely tuition-free.” Back in the 70’s, college education was tuition free, unlike today therefore we can have it free again. “As a result many students have been overwhelmed with the thought of paying an amount of money for a Public College education.” Another reason is that free college would allow students to save their money and to provoke less pressure, for example stress on themselves. Studies have shown the amount of stress obtained over the years in college. “Three out of four students reported having experienced at least one stressful life event in the last year. More than 20 percent of students reported experiencing six or more stressful life events in the last year. Stress exposure was strongly associated with mental health diagnoses, self-harm and suicidality.” This quote come from a website called stress.org

Although some people might argue that college should not be free, since many students  would skip classes (just like in high school) because they are not paying for them. I oppose this point of view since students who have worked hard to get into college, just because it could be free does not mean it is simple to enter. According to collegevine.com “tuition requirements and earn at least a 2.3 high school GPA among other criteria.” To get accepted in college.

In conclusion a Boosted Economy can affect students and most students graduate with a massive amount of debt. Free tuition at public colleges could help students into saving up their debts, aware about their self care, since many students work full time to pay for their college education, and prevent self harm from anxiety. Therefore this topic is important because it has many effects on students that can not afford its payment required. 

Source: The New York Times

1. Howard 4 weeks ago

Hi Mae I enjoyed reading your article and I do agree. Wanting to get into a college and having the tuition be pricy is very stressful. I believe there should be some sort of system in order to get free tuition because some students may not be as deserving of free tuition as other students who work very hard.