Recently in the world of sports, a question has arisen that ten years ago would’ve seemed utterly disgraceful to even mention.  The question of whether college athletes should be paid is a fair one however.  People make money off of them, so shouldn’t the get a little of that money?  As an avid sports fan, this topic is of great interest to me.  Many big time division one colleges generate millions of dollars on their football and basketball programs alone.  While much of the money goes into the school and into better equipment, there is some left for profit.  The life of the student athlete is a challenging one, often double as hard as the life of a normal college student.  This arises the question that if these individuals are working their tails off and people are benefiting from it, shouldn’t the athlete benefit from it too?  There are many pros and cons to each side.  College athletes put themselves on the line and risk injury for others enjoyment, however if we payed them for that, the purity of the sports would be at risk.  Many of the athletes are also already on scholarship, and it is very hard to pay all the student athletes who don’t bring in the big time money.  This is a debate that seemingly has no end in sight.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/should-student-athletes-be-paid

http://scholarship.law.nd.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2148&context=ndlr

Paige
February 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Nate,
This is a really hard discussion. I agree that if college’s starting paying athletes it may take away from the purity of college sports. Also some smaller colleges will most likely not have the money to pay their athletes. So none of the recruits will look to those smaller schools who aren’t paying their athletes. Another problem would be deciding which athletic teams get paid. Do you just pay the basketball and football teams? Those teams are probably bringing in the most income, yet it wouldn’t be fair to the baseball and softball teams who are putting in the same amount of work. Do you think there are more pros or cons to paying college athletes?

Cy
Cy
February 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Interesting topic Nate. My question to you is, how far in the future is college athletes getting paid?If it is at all?

2
0
()